Thursday, December 23, 2010
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Dec. 23, 2010) - In addition to their success on the playing surfaces, the ETSU student-athletes set a new standard by putting up unprecedented numbers in the classroom during the fall semester.
"I continue to be amazed at our student-athletes' abilities to balance their academic and athletic demands at an incredibly efficient level," said Bob Baker, Assistant Athletic Director for Academic Services. "We are fortunate to have coaches who recruit student-athletes that not only can help us win championships but more importantly have consistent focus on their academics."
The overall cumulative student-athlete GPA for the fall semester was 3.30, an all-time high for ETSU student-athletes during a semester. In addition, 83 percent of ETSU student-athletes earned Atlantic Sun All-Academic Honors, which is also an all-time high at ETSU.
The Bucs had 27 student-athletes achieve a 4.0 during the semester, while all 14 athletic teams achieved a cumulative GPA of a B- or better. In addition, 73 percent of student-athletes earned Buccaneer Honor Roll (minimum 3.0 GPA), while 29 percent earned Dean's List (minimum 3.7 GPA).
"It certainly is a nice early Christmas present for us to see this level of academic accomplishment and improvement among all of our teams and student-athletes," added Baker.
For more information on ETSU athletics please go to ETSUBucs.com. Also, be sure to follow ETSU Athletics on Facebook and Twitter.
ETSU Athletics Academic Sheet by the Numbers
- Overall cumulative student-athlete GPA of 3.30 - all-time high
- All-time High - 83 percent of ETSU student-athletes in season earned Atlantic Sun All-Academic Honors
- 27 student-athletes earned 4.0 GPAs
- 13 ETSU athletic teams earned team cumulative GPAs of 3.0 or higher
- All ETSU athletic teams earned team GPA of B- or higher
- 185 (73%) of student-athletes earned Buccaneer Honor Roll (minimum 3.0 GPA)
- 74 (29%) student-athletes earned Dean's List (miniumum 3.7 GPA)