|Win: Austin Livingston (3-0)||4.0||5||2||2||1||1|
|Loss: KRIEG (2-4)||3.0||4||7||5||4||1|
|Hughston Armstrong (CIT)||3||2||2||3||1||1|
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
CHARLESTON, S.C., (April 16, 2013) – The ETSU baseball team begins a grueling stretch of 14 games in 19 days Wednesday night when the Bucs head to Charleston, S.C., for a midweek non-conference contest at The Citadel. First pitch is set for 6 p.m., at Riley Park.
During this stretch, ETSU (21-12) plays 10 of its 14 games away from Thomas Stadium, beginning with a five-game road swing which sends the Blue and Gold to Charleston, DeLand, Fla. (Stetson) and Radford, Va.
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE BUCS
- ETSU captured its second straight Atlantic Sun series sweep this past weekend as the Bucs took three from Lipscomb at Thomas Stadium, marking the first time since 2004 the Blue and Gold have swept back-to-back conference series.
- For the weekend, the Bucs hit .347 (35-101), registered a 1.33 ERA (4 ER/27.0 IP) and committed only one error against the Bisons. ETSU outscored Lipscomb, 20-4, and held the Bisons to a .218 batting average (22-101).
- Senior right-hander Kerry Doane (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.) – who was named A-Sun Pitcher of the Week on Monday – tossed his third shutout and seventh complete game of the season in Friday’s 8-0 win, while junior righty Logan Rice (Erwin, Tenn.) recorded his third straight win as a starter and fellow junior Will Chesney (Knoxville, Tenn.) collected his first collegiate save by pitching the final three innings in Saturday’s 7-2 victory. On Sunday, freshman lefty Josh Jacques (Rollinsford, N.H.) earned his first collegiate win after tossing five innings of one-run ball and junior Clinton Freeman (Jonesborough, Tenn.) picked up his fifth save by pitching the final four innings out of the bullpen.
- At the plate, sophomore Jordan Sanford (Powell, Tenn.) had four hits in seven at-bats, along with belting his first home run as a Buccaneer on Sunday, while Dylan Tritsch (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Andrew Lasure (Stanford, Ky.) combined to go 10-for-20 with two doubles, five runs scored and five RBI in the weekend series. Mason Hershey (Altoona, Pa.) and Trey York (Knoxville, Tenn.) also feasted on Lipscomb’s pitching as the Buccaneer duo hit .455 and .444, respectively. Hershey went 5-for-11 with one double, two runs scored and four RBI and York reached base seven times in the series (four hits, three walks) and scored two runs.
ABOUT THE CITADEL
- Like ETSU, the Bulldogs are coming off a key conference sweep as The Citadel took all three from Georgia Southern this past weekend in Statesboro. The Citadel improved to 20-17 following the three-game sweep.
- The Citadel pitching staff allowed just two unearned runs in the series at Georgia Southern as the Bulldogs opened the series with consecutive shutouts, including a 1-0 victory in 11 innings on Saturday.
- As a team, the Bulldogs rank second in the SoCon in hitting (.300) and third in pitching (4.17). The Citadel ranks fifth in the country in home runs (35), 19th in hits (381) and 29th in batting average.
- Individually, junior outfielder Hughston Armstrong leads the team and ranks third in the SoCon with a .376 batting average, while sophomore first baseman Bo Thompson is hitting .348 with eight doubles, a team-leading 10 home runs, and 31 RBI.
- On the mound, freshman righty Skylar Hunter has recorded eight of the Bulldogs’ nine saves, which places him 18th in the NCAA rankings for most saves, while two of the The Citadel’s three saves came this past weekend.
SERIES VS. THE CITADEL
- Tuesday marks the 78th all-time meeting between ETSU and The Citadel.
- The Bulldogs lead the series, 50-27, and it’s the first time the schools have met since The Citadel defeated ETSU, 4-1, to open the 2010 season.
- ETSU’s last win over The Citadel was a 5-3 13-inning victory back on Feb. 10, 2007 in Charleston.
- Freshman right-hander Griffin Krieg (Nashville, Tenn.) gets the start for the Bucs, while the Bulldogs toss fellow freshman righty Austin Livingston. Krieg is 2-3 with a 6.59 ERA and is making his ninth start of the year. Livingston – who is making his sixth start of the campaign – is 2-0 with a 5.57 ERA.
- Live stats will be available for Wednesday’s game via StatBroadcast by visiting ETSUBucs.com. Fans can access live stats on their computers, mobile devices or tablets.
- Live video streaming will be provided for a charge of $6.95 by visiting CitadelSports.com.
- Wednesday’s game will feature live audio on ETSUBucs.com, as “Voice of the Bucs” Jay Sandos will carry the play-by-play.
- Live updates will also be posted on Twitter by following @ETSUAthletics and @ETSU_Baseball.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer baseball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the baseball link.
|Copyright ©2014 East Tennessee State Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ETSUBucs.com|