|News » Archives|
Bucs Men's Tennis Defeats UNC Greensboro, 5-2
Tuesday, April 18, 2000
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. -- The East Tennessee State University men's tennis team defeated UNC Greensboro, 5-2, in Southern Conference action today in ETSU's Mini-Dome. It was the Bucs' sixth consecutive win.
With the win, the Bucs earned at least a tie for the Southern Conference regular-season title. It was ETSU's 21st consecutive win against a Southern Conference opponent.
ETSU (17-7, 9-0 Southern Conference) opened the match by winning at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to capture the doubles point. Ricardo Nava and Matt Keeter -- at No. 3 -- combined to win their 23rd doubles match of the season.
The Bucs won four of the six singles contests, including at No. 2 where Marcos Pavlovich dropped the first set but rebounded to earn his 32nd victory of the season. Other Buc winners were Gustavo Gomez, Roberto Fernandez and Juan Yannuzzi.
"I am really proud of our effort, not only today but all season," head coach Dave Mullins said. "This team believes in each other and has battled all year long."
ETSU will conclude its regular season at the College of Charleston on Thursday, April 20 at 2 p.m.
1. Gustavo Gomez (ETSU) def. John Clark 6-3, 6-1
2. Marcos Pavlovich (ETSU) def. Tony Mule 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. Roberto Fernandez (ETSU) def. Nigel Mitten 6-4, 6-3
4. Juan Yannuzzi (ETSU) def. Diego Goya 6-3, 6-4
5. Marcio Torres (UNCG) def. Ricardo Nava 6-3, 6-4
6. Paul Goode (UNCG) def. Matt Keeter 7-6, 6-1
1. Mule/Torres (UNCG) def. Gomez/Fernandez 9-7
2. Pavlovich/Yannuzzi (ETSU) def. Goode/Mitten 8-4
3. Nava/Keeter (ETSU) def. Bo McWhorter/Tanner Haddon 8-6