|News » Archives|
ETSU women's tennis picks up first win of the season at Liberty, 6-1
Saturday, February 05, 2005
LYNCHBURG, Va. (Feb. 5, 2005) - The East Tennessee State women's tennis team won its first match of the 2005 season on the road against Liberty University by a score of 6-1. With the win ETSU improves to 1-2, while Liberty drops to 0-1 in their season opener.
ETSU started off the evening's match by winning all three doubles matches for a 1-0 lead. Senior Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia) and freshman Olya Batsula (Minsk, Belarus) paired at No. 1 to defeat Jonita Randolph and Martyna Hanusz, 8-4. At No. 2 Elena Volobueva (Barcelona, Spain) and Sandie Knight (Adamstown, Australia) defeated Nichole Duncan and Andreea Cotuna, 8-3. Jewel Aldea (Charleston, S.C.) and Masha Ilina (Kyiv, Ukraine) teamed in the No. 3 slot to defeat Mayra Prado and Sarah Henry, 8-0.
In singles competition, the Bucs continued their success garnering five of the points. Wins for ETSU came from Ilina at No. 1 (6-7, 6-1, 11-9), Knight at No. 2 (6-1, 6-0), Batsula at No. 3 (6-0, 6-2), Halim at No. 4 (6-4, 6-2, and Aldea at No. 5 (6-1, 6-3.
"It feels good to get our first win of the season," stated head coach Steve Brooks. "We played well and hopefully we can keep this play up."
Weekend tennis action continues for the Bucs tomorrow as they travel to Blacksburg, Va. to take on the Virginia Tech Hokies at 10:30 a.m.
East Tennessee State 6, Liberty 1
1. Batsula/Halim (ETSU) d. Randolf/Hanusz (Liberty) 8-4
2. Knight/Volobueva (ETSU) d. Duncan/Cotuna (Liberty) 8-3
3. Ilina/Aldea (ETSU) d. Prado/Henry (Liberty) 8-0
1. Masha Ilina (ETSU) d. Jonita Randolph (Liberty) 6-7, 6-1, 11-9
2. Sandie Knight (ETSU) d. Martyna Hanusz (Liberty) 6-1, 6-0
3. Olya Batsula (ETSU) d. Andreea Cotuna (Liberty) 6-0, 6-2
4. Gemma Halim (ETSU) d. Nichole Duncan (Liberty) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jewel Aldea (ETSU) d. Sarah Henry (Liberty) 6-1, 6-3
6. Mayra Prado (Liberty) d. Muriel Sherwood (ETSU) default