|News » Archives|
Women's tennis edged at Georgia State, 4-3
Saturday, February 19, 2011
ATLANTA, Ga. (Feb. 19, 2011) - Georgia State got out to a quick start by winning the doubles point and they split the six singles matches to narrowly defeat ETSU, 4-3 in women's tennis action at Piedmont Park on Saturday.
Georgia State got out to the early 1-0 lead after sweeping each of the three doubles matches, but ETSU came out strong in the singles portion of the match. Andra Voinea (Brasov, Romania) tied the match up at 1-1 after she earned a quick victory over Othilia Lindqvist at the No. 6 position, 6-1, 6-0. Voinea remains tied for the team lead with four singles victories during the dual season.
The Panthers regained the lead shortly thereafter as Abigail Tere-Apisah knocked off Paula Jaime (Madrid, Spain) in the No. 2 position, 6-2, 6-4. The back and forth battle continued as ETSU picked up a win at the No. 1 position when Kelly Holtzhausen (Johannesburg, South Africa) defeated Tereza Lerova, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6).
With the match knotted up once again, the Panthers got a crucial victory from Kir Kemp at the No. 5 position as she knocked off Diana Navrostska (Lviv, Ukraine), 7-5, 6-1. With GSU needing just one point to clinch the match, Maryna Kozachenko defeated Karina Kedzo () 7-5, 6-4, to keep the Panthers undefeated on the season.
ETSU did, however, finish up the afternoon with a victory from Marine Wieliczko (Rouen, France) at the No. 3 position as she won a three set thriller over Katerina Gresova, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4. Wieliczko is tied with Voinea for the team lead with four singles wins during dual play.
The Bucs fall to 2-4 on the season with the loss, while Georgia State remains a perfect 5-0 on the season.
The Bucs will next take on No. 70 North Florida in the first Atlantic Sun Conference match of the season on March 4. The match will take place in Jacksonville, Fla. and will begin at 11 a.m.
For more information on ETSU women's tennis please go to ETSUBucs.com and click on the women's tennis link. Also, be sure to follow ETSU Athletics on Facebook and Twitter.
Georgia State 4, ETSU 3
1. Kelly Holtzhausen (ETSU) def. Tereza Lerova (GSU) 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
2. Abigail Tere-Apisah (GSU) def. Paula Jaime (ETSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Marine Wieliczko (ETSU) def. Katerina Gresova (GSU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
4. Maryna Kozachenko (GSU) def. Karina Kedzo (ETSU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Kir Kemp (GSU) def. Diana Navrostska (ETSU) 7-5, 6-0
6. Andra Voinea (ETSU) def. Othilia Lindqvist (GSU) 6-1, 6-0
1. #40 Kir Kemp/Tereza Lerova (GSU) def. Paula Jaime/Karina Kedzo (ETSU) 8-2
2. Maryna Kozachenko/Abigail Tere-Apisah (GSU) def. Giulia Andreazza/Kelly Holtzhausen (ETSU) 8-6
3. Katerina Gresova/Martina Ondrackova (GSU) def. Diana Navrostska/Marine Wieliczko (ETSU) 8-6
Georgia State 5-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,2,1,5,4,3)