|News » Archives|
ETSU cruises past Colonels, 6-1
Tuesday, February 11, 2014
LEXINGTON, Ky. (Feb. 11, 2014) - Beginning a stretch of four matches in six days, the ETSU women's tennis team cruised to a 6-1 victory over Eastern Kentucky in Lexington. The Buccaneers won in all but two matches Tuesday, including five wins in singles play.
Playing in her first singles match of the season, Sophia Espana picked up a win at No. 5 singles for the Bucs (3-4).
Espana was joined in the win column in singles play by Lyn Yee Choo (Kuching, Malaysia), Anna Gerbasi (Caracas, Venezuela), Salma Dahbi (Marrakech, Morocco), and Jessica Brumit (Elizabethton, Tenn.).
With her victory at No. 4 singles, Dahbi extended her win streak in singles competition to five matches.
"It was a tougher match than the score suggests," ETSU head coach Travis Sandlant said. "It was a real battle."
Gerbasi and Brumit were able to outlast their opponents in tiebreakers at No. 3 and No. 6 singles, respectively.
"To come away with a few super tiebreaker wins in this new format is going to build the confidence of the team."
The Bucs took two of the three doubles matches, with Choo and Gerbasi winning and No. 1 doubles and Brumit and Guillia Andreazza (Balneario Camboriu, Brazil) winning at No. 3.
ETSU will continue non-conference play as it takes on No. 40 Kentucky Wednesday, Feb. 12 at 6:00 p.m.
East Tennessee State 6, Eastern Kentucky 1
1. Lyn Yee Choo (ETSU) def. Amandine Faouzi (EKU), 7-5, 6-1
2. Kristina Labeja (EKU) def. Giulia Andreazza (ETSU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Anna Gerbasi (ETSU) def. Saioa Oscoz (EKU), 3-6, 6-3, (10-6)
4. Salma Dahbi (ETSU) def. Milena Poffo (EKU), 6-4, 7-5
5. Sophia Espana (ETSU) def. Melissa Gerritsen (EKU), 6-2, 7-5
6. Jessica Brumit (ETSU) def. Marcela Jimenez (EKU), 3-6, 6-1, (10-7)
1. Choo/Gerbasi (ETSU) def. Faouzi/Labeja (EKU), 8-3
2. Oscoz/Poffo (EKU) def. Dahbi/Espana (ETSU), 8-7 (4)
3. Brumit/Andreazza (ETSU) def. Jimenez/Rodriguez (EKU), 8-5