Monday, September 09, 2013
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (Sept. 9, 2013) – Prior to wrapping preseason tournament play this weekend in Knoxville, the ETSU volleyball team will look to snap a two-match losing skid when the Bucs take on Marshall Tuesday night inside the Cam Henderson Center.
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE BUCS
- ETSU (3-4) dropped two of its three matches over the weekend at the Kentucky Classic. The Blue and Gold earned their third consecutive sweep by defeating two-time defending Big South Conference champion Liberty Friday night, but VCU snapped the win streak by handing the Bucs a heartbreaking five-set loss on Saturday. Following the setback to the Rams, ETSU was swept by No. 21 Kentucky in a rematch of last year’s NCAA Tournament game.
- Senior outside hitter Megan Devine (Kingsport, Tenn.) was named to the Kentucky Classic All-Tournament Team after posting 48 kills, 26 digs and five blocks in the three matches.
- Marshall (2-6) snapped a five-match losing streak after defeating Chicago State, 3-1, on Saturday afternoon at the UIC Invitational.
- Tuesday marks the home opener for the Thundering Herd as Marshall opened the season playing at the Jefferson Cup in Charlottesville, Va., while traveling to Eastern Kentucky and Morehead State before ending its eight-game road swing last weekend in Chicago.
- Last season, the Thundering Herd went 18-13, 8-8 in Conference USA and return five starters plus their libero from that squad. Senior outside hitter Laura Der was named to the Preseason All-Conference USA Team, while Marshall was picked to finish eighth in the 15-team league.
- Tuesday marks the 37th all-time meeting between the longtime historic rivals, which dates back to the 1978 season.
- ETSU leads the all-time series, 23-13, including a 3-1 victory over Marshall last year in Brooks Gym.
- Tuesday will be the Bucs’ first trip to Marshall since Sept. 6, 2008, when the Thundering Herd defeated ETSU, 3-1.
- Marshall will provide live stats and video for Tuesday’s match by visiting www.Herdzone.com.
- Twitter updates can be accessed by following @ETSUAthletics and @ETSUVolleyball.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer volleyball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the volleyball page.