|News » Archives|
Hardy lands A-Sun Defensive Player of the Week honors
Monday, September 23, 2013
MACON, Ga. (Sept. 23, 2013) – Junior Meredith Hardy (Kingsport, Tenn.) helped the ETSU volleyball team get off to a perfect start in conference play over the weekend, and the league office recognized the Buccaneer middle blocker for her strong performances by naming her Atlantic Sun Defensive Player of the Week on Monday.
For the week, Hardy dominated at the net as she totaled an impressive 19 blocks (2.38 per set), along with 18 kills (2.25 per set) as the Blue and Gold defeated Mercer and Kennesaw State, improving ETSU’s record to 8-6, 2-0.
On Friday night, the Kingsport, Tenn. native registered nine kills, eight blocks, and a .421 (9-1-19) attack percentage in the 3-1 win at Mercer. Less than 24 hours later, the all-conference performer continued to impress as Hardy finished with nine kills and 11 blocks in the four-set victory at Kennesaw State. The 11 blocks are the most by an A-Sun player this season and were also one shy of tying a career high. Meanwhile, ETSU’s win at Kennesaw State extended the Bucs’ win streak to four, while also marking the Owls’ first home loss of the year.
Hardy has now recorded at least one block in 76 consecutive matches, while her 80 total blocks this season are 30 more than the nearest competitor among A-Sun players.
This marks the first Defensive Player of the Week honor for the exercise science major and it’s the second weekly honor for the middle blocker. Last November, Hardy received Player of the Week accolades.
The Bucs continue their road swing Thursday night as ETSU travels to Spartanburg for a conference match at USC Upstate. Game time is set for 6 p.m. inside the Hodge Center.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer volleyball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the volleyball page.
About Player of the Week
The following criteria are used by the Atlantic Sun Conference in selecting the A-Sun Players of the Week in each of the conference’s 20 sports. These criteria are used in no specific order and, in its groupings, one does not weigh more than the others:
• Statistics compiled during the week of competition
• The impact of that person’s efforts in meeting the team goals (i.e., game-winning shot, walk-off home run, etc.)
• Magnitude of the contest on the conference and national level (i.e., game meant championship, etc.)
• When individual participates in more than one game per week, how that individual performs in each of those games, effecting team performance goals
• Level of competition faced by each individual
• Each week’s performance will be considered on its own merit
• Other pertinent factors (i.e., career milestones; program, conference and/or national records)