|News » Archives|
Men’s Golf heads to Columbus for Jack Nicklaus Invitational
Saturday, September 28, 2013
COLUMBUS, Ohio (Sept. 28, 2013) – The ETSU men’s golf team returns to action this weekend as the Bucs head to Columbus for the Jack Nicklaus Invitational.
LAST TIME OUT FOR THE BUCS
- ETSU opened the fall season two weeks ago as the Bucs finished ninth at the Tar Heel Intercollegiate. The Bucs posted a three-round team score of 24-over 888 (295-292-301).
- Sophomore Adrian Meronk (Wroclaw, Poland) led the Blue and Gold as he finished tied for 11 in the 79-man field. Meronk registered a three-round score of 1-over-par 217 (72-73-72), while fellow sophomore Chris Hickman (Centreville, Md.) tied for 33rd.
ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT
- This marks the fourth year of the Jack Nicklaus Invitational, which is held at The Ohio State University Golf Club – Scarlet Course. The course runs 7,455 yards and is a par-71.
- The teams play the first and second rounds on Sunday, while the final round will be contested Monday. Play begins Sunday at 9 a.m., with a shotgun start, while Monday’s final round gets underway at 8:15.
- Kent State returns to defend its title. Texas won the championship in 2011 and Oklahoma State won in 2010.
- Joining the Bucs and Buckeyes are: Ball State, California, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Long Beach State, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Purdue.
- Four of the teams are currently ranked in the Golf World/Nike Golf Division I Coaches’ Poll. California is ranked fifth, Oklahoma State is sixth, Oklahoma is 10th and Kent State is ranked 19th. In addition, Mississippi State and North Carolina are receiving votes.
ABOUT THE COURSE
- Located two miles northwest of the main campus, The Ohio State University Golf Club first opened in 1938 and was designed by famed architect Dr. Alister MacKenzie. Under the direction of Buckeye legend Jack Nicklaus it underwent a major renovation in 2005 and reopened in the spring of 2006.
- The club features two courses - Scarlet and Gray. The Scarlet Course has played host to numerous tournaments on the amateur and professional levels, including U.S. Open Qualifying, the Nationwide Tour's Nationwide Children's Hospital Invitational, AJGA Rolex Tournament of Champions, several men's and women's Big Ten championships and NCAA regionals. The Scarlet Course has also welcomed 10 men's national championships, most recently in 2002.
- Joining Meronk and Hickman in ETSU’s lineup are juniors Rhys Pugh (Pontpridd, Wales) and Tom Heggarty (Cheshire, England) and sophomore Gudmundur Kristjansson (Reykjavik, Iceland).
- The Bucs are paired with North Carolina and Purdue.
Live scoring will be provided on GolfStat.com, while Twitter updates can be accessed by following @ETSUAthletics.
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer men’s golf, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s golf page.