BOONE, N.C. (April 28, 2015) - The ETSU softball team will visit Boone, N.C. Wednesday, April 29 for a non-conference doubleheader versus Sun Belt opponent Appalachian State.
Wednesday's twinbill will serve as ETSU's final regular-season road games of the year. ETSU will close out the regular season by hosting league opponent Mercer for a three-game series Saturday, May 2 and Sunday, May 3.
Wednesday, April 29
5:00 p.m. at Appalachian State | LIVE STATS
7:00 p.m. at Appalachian State | LIVE STATS
GETTING UP TO SPEED
- This season, 11 of the Buccaneers (12-29) 12 wins have come against non-conference opponents.
- Four ETSU players are batting better than .300 this season, including junior Jenine Duncan (Jonesborough, Tenn.) who is batting .333 with 15 stolen bases and 13 runs scored. In league play, Duncan is hitting an impressive .471 clip at the plate and has posted a team-best .526 on-base percentage.
- Duncan and redshirt senior Nicole Fox (Peachtree City, Ga.) have accounted for much of the Bucs' success on the base paths. The duo has accounted for 29 of the team's 37 steals while posting an 88-percent success rate in stolen base attempts.
- In her first five career starts, freshman Malloree Schurr (Montgomery, Texas) has gone 7-of-15 at the plate while scoring three times and driving in a run.
- Freshman Cassi Pickett (Chattanooga, Tenn.) is batting .310 in Southern Conference competition. Meanwhile, fellow freshman Kelsey Smith (Tucson, Ariz.) is leading ETSU in several offensive categories, including home runs (11), runs batted in (37), and slugging percentage (.645).
- In the pitcher's circle, sophomore Taylor Carter (Brazil, Ind.) has ammassed a 6-9 record in 21 appearances, including 16 starts. Meanwhile, senior righthander Whitney Leon (Dandridge, Tenn.) leads ETSU with 64 strikeouts this season. Leon has made 23 pitching appearances and 12 starts for the Bucs.
OPPONENT AT A GLANCE
- The Mountaineers (13-32) will enter Wednesday's doubleheader having lost six of their last seven contests. Appalachian State suffered a series sweep at Texas State last weekend.
- Three Appalachian State players are batting better than .300, including Sarah Warnock who leads the team in batting average (.325), runs batted in (28), and doubles (8).
- The Mountaineers have surrendered an average of 7.11 runs per game to opponents. No pitcher on the roster has an earned run average better than 6.00.
BY THE NUMBERS
||App. St. (Sun Belt)
|Runs per game (league rank)
|Earned run average
FOLLOW THE BUCS
- Receive live game updates and behind-the-scenes access of ETSU Softball by following @ETSUSoftball on Twitter or BucSoftball on Facebook.
- ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!