Lady Bucs fall at Western Kentucky, 86-56
Lady Bucs fall at Western Kentucky, 86-56
Sunday, December 11, 2005

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (December 11, 2005) - The Lady Bucs basketball team experienced only its second loss of the season on Sunday, falling to Western Kentucky, 86-56, in E.A. Diddle Arena.  Senior Candace Gibson (Warner Robins, Ga.) tallied a season-best 15 rebounds, along with 10 points, but the effort was not enough lift to Lady Bucs to victory.


The Lady Bucs pulled within six early in the second half on a short jumper by Jenny Norman (Peachtree City, Ga.).  The Lady Toppers answered with a three pointer by Cammie Campbell to bring the lead back to nine.  Nichelle Akers (Sumter, S.C.) made it seven with a breakaway layup, but WKU heated up from there, extending the lead to 21 at 65-44 with just over 11 minutes remaining. 


The Lady Toppers were deadly from behind the arc in the run, sinking four from long distance, including three from Campbell.  Holly Moring (Irmo, S.C.) finally got the Lady Bucs back on the board, draining a pair of free throws with 11:10 remaining.  Moring scored a team-high 11 in the loss.


Moring and Michele DeVault (Columbus, Ohio) would both drain a pair of free throws midway through the frame, but the Lady Bucs couldn't get anything going, as ETSU failed to net a field goal for over nine minutes.  WKU led by as many as 30 late.  Campbell netted a game-high 18 points, 13 of which came in the second half. 


The Lady Toppers dominated early, surging to an 11-0 lead by the first media timeout.  Lady Topper Sarah Strouse led the way during the run, tallying seven of WKU's first 11 points. 


ETSU got on the board at the 15:40 mark, thanks to a 15-footer from Norman.  Norman would sink another jumper, while Brooke Wilhoit (Sevierville, Tenn.) added a bucket and a three-point play, in an attempt to chip away at the Lady Topper lead, but WKU still carried the 21-11 advantage with 11:46 left in the period.


The Lady Toppers began to pull away late in the opening half, extending the margin to 36-19, and holding the Lady Bucs scoreless for over four minutes until Wilhoit broke the scoring draught with a bucket with 4:13 to go. 


The Lady Bucs continued to charge scoring eight more points in the next two minutes, bringing to deficit to eight, behind a three from Moring at the 2:02 mark.  But WKU didn't buckle, taking the lead back to 10 at 44-34 on a last-second jumper by Campbell.


Wilhoit led the Lady Bucs with eight first-point points, while Moring added seven.  WKU's Porter-Talbert led all scorers with 10 going into the locker room.  Gibson controlled the boards in the frame, tying a season-high with 11 first-half rebounds. 

The Lady Bucs do not take to the court again until Dec. 21, as ETSU makes the short trip to Boone, N.C., to take on Appalachian State.  The game is slated for a 5 p.m. start.