|January 08, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||ETSU||SAM|
|FG Percentage||.457 (21-46)||.351 (20-57)|
|3P FG Percentage||.455 (5-11)||.136 (3-22)|
|FT Percentage||.917 (22-24)||.933 (14-15)|
- 23||Hannah Nichols
Raven Dean - 8
TEAM - 5
- 7||Kassidy Blevins
Brittany Stevens - 4
- 2||Kassidy Blevins
- 3||Hannah Nichols
Olivia Crozier - 1
Samantha Fitzgerald - 1
Kassidy Blevins - 1
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (January 8, 2017) – Behind stellar shooting from the free-throw line the ETSU Women’s Basketball team earned their first Southern Conference victory of the season on Sunday with a 69-57 win over Samford.
As a team the Bucs shots a season-high 91.7 percent from the free-throw line sinking 22 of 24 free-throw attempts. The 91.7 percent ranks as one of the top five highest percentages from the free-throw line in a single-game in program history. Overall the blue and gold had three players shoot 100 percent from the line.
ETSU had four score in double figures for just the second time this season with senior Shamauria Bridges (Miramar, Fla.) leading the way with 23 points on 5-of-9 shooting from three. Following Bridges was sophomore Raven Dean (Charlotte, N.C.) who tallied 14 points and eight rebounds. Junior Malloree Schurr (Montgomery, Texas) recorded a new career-high with 11 points while registering eight rebounds.
Off the bench a career-high was set by sophomore Morgan Martin (Davenport, Iowa) who scored 10 points on 4-of-5 shooting from the field while blocking three shots. Junior Tianna Tarter (Johnson City, Tenn.) who leads the conference in scoring, recorded seven points while grabbing four rebounds and dishing out seven assists.
The Bucs earned their first program victory at Samford to improve their overall record to 9-8 and 1-1 in SoCon play. ETSU will play the final game of their three-game road trip on Saturday, Jan. 14 against Chattanooga at 2:00 p.m.
• Samford jumps out to 7-2 lead the first three minutes
• Raven Dean scored first four points for the Bucs
• In the final five minutes of the first, ETSU went 1-of-9 from the field
• Samford ended the quarter on an 11-3 run to take a 18-9 lead after the first
• With two minutes gone in the second, half of ETSU’s points came from the free-throw line
• Midway through the quarter, ETSU makes four straight field goals to tie the game at 25-25
• During the second, ETSU went scoreless for four minutes
• Bucs make six of their final eight field goals
• ETSU trails Samford, 33-32 at halftime.
• Bucs take a three-point lead after Raven Dean scores four straight points
• Samford assessed a technical foul at 7:35
• After the technical foul, ETSU embarked on a 7-0 run to open their lead up to double digits
• ETSU outscores Samford, 20-10 in the third quarter
• ETSU leads 52-43 after the third quarter
• ETSU and Samford traded baskets through the first three minutes of the fourth
• Bucs held the record for the highest free-throw percentage in a single-game in ETSU history until a missed free-throw at the 5:57 mark
• Neither team scored the final 2:52 of the game
• Bucs win 69-57 over Samford
• ETSU earns first SoCon win and first win in Birmingham in program history
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer women’s basketball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the women’s basketball page.