|January 28, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||ETSU||WOF|
|FG Percentage||.482 (27-56)||.433 (26-60)|
|3P FG Percentage||.563 (9-16)||.286 (6-21)|
|FT Percentage||.700 (14-20)||.917 (11-12)|
- 29||Kelsey Lambdin
- 10||Maria Corella
- 7||Cairo Booker
- 3||Maria Corella
Sadasia Tipps - 1
Yamile Rodriguez - 1
SPARTANBURG, S.C. (January 28, 2017) – In one of the largest comebacks in ETSU Women’s Basketball history the Buccaneers rallied from 20 points down to defeat Wofford, 77-69 on Saturday afternoon inside Benjamin Johnson Arena.
“They showed a lot of toughness today,” said head coach Brittney Ezell. “I think Mike Starke our conditioning coach needs to be commended because our conditioning was there towards the end of the game.”
It was the fourth straight victory as ETSU improves their overall record to 13-9 and 5-2 in Southern Conference play. The Bucs have now won 15 straight games against the Terriers. It was the largest comeback since ETSU came back from 24 points down against Chattanooga in the 2014 SoCon Tournament Championship game.
ETSU had four players scored in double figures for the third time this season and the first time since Jan.8 at Samford.
Leading the way was All-American candidate junior Tianna Tarter (Johnson City, Tenn.) once again shined scoring a team-high 29 points along with five rebounds and seven assists on 11-of-18 shooting from the field. Tarter scored 14 of her 29 points in the fourth quarter and 21 alone in the second half. This weekend Tarter averaged 30 points and 8.5 rebounds per game and has scored in double figures in 16 of the last 17 games.
““Tianna willed us to win today,” said Ezell. “She was the best player on the floor and she is just a special talent and knows when it is time to take over.”
Fellow backcourt member senior Shamauria Bridges (Miramar, Fla.) had 14 points, nine of which came in the third quarter on 3-of-7 shooting from behind the arc. Overall, Bridges went 5-of-15 from the floor and recorded four three-pointers for the 10th time this year. The senior guard has scored in double figures in eight of the last nine games.
Controlling the boards once again was sophomore Raven Dean (Charlotte, N.C) recording her fourth double-double of the season with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Dean has now recorded double figure rebounds in four of the last five games.
For the second time since Jan.21 freshman Kelci Marosites (Elizabethton, Tenn.) scored in double digits with 11 points off the bench on 4-of-5 shooting from the field. Through the first 19 games of the season Marosites scored 11 points but in the last three games has tallied 32 points.
The Bucs return home for two pivotal SoCon games next weekend as the Bucs host Samford on Feb.2 at 11:00 a.m. for Education Day. The blue and gold end the weekend against Mercer on Jan.4 at 2:00 p.m.
• Through the first four minutes of play, ETSU trailed Wofford,6-5
• Wofford ended the first quarter on a 11-4 run to secure a double-digit lead at 23-11
• In the final two minutes, Wofford ended on a 9-4 run
• End of the first quarter: ETSU 13, Wofford 23
• Wofford takes their biggest lead of the game at 20 points, 35-15.
• Midway through the second quarter, ETSU goes on a 5-0 run to cut the lead to 15 points
• Out of a media timeout the Terriers embark on a 7-2 run to take a 44-27 lead
• In the final two minutes ETSU goes on a 6-0 run thanks to three free-throws made by Dean and sophomore Sadasia Tipps (Hickory, N.C.) followed by a three in the corner by Marosites.
• Halftime: ETSU 33, Wofford 44
• Bucs cut the lead to single digits at 44-36 after a Shamauria Bridges three-pointer from the top of the key.
• In the third quarter, ETSU went 4-of-8 from the three-point line with Bridges knocking down three three’s.
• ETSU cuts the lead to 55-52 after Tianna Tarter converts an And-One.
• The blue and gold tie the game at 55-55 with 30 seconds left in the third
• End of third quarter: ETSU 55, Wofford 57
• Tianna Tarter knocks down a three from the right wing to cut Wofford’s lead to one point
• Tarter scores a fast break lay-up to give ETSU their first lead since the nine minute mark of the first quarter.
• Through the first five minutes, Tarter had nine of ETSU’s 11 points.
• ETSU shot a staggering 80 percent from the field in the fourth quarter
• Tarter scores 14 of her game-high 29 in the fourth.
• FINAL: ETSU 77, Wofford 69
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer women’s basketball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the women’s basketball page.