|February 02, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||SAM||ETSU|
|FG Percentage||.418 (23-55)||.467 (21-45)|
|3P FG Percentage||.313 (5-16)||.385 (5-13)|
|FT Percentage||.500 (5-10)||.560 (14-25)|
- 16||Tianna Tarter
Kassidy Blevins - 4
Samantha Fitzgerald - 4
Hannah Nichols - 4
- 3||Shamauria Bridges
Cassidy Williams - 2
Sadasia Tipps - 1
Tianna Tarter - 1
- 1||Sadasia Tipps
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (February 2, 2017) – In front of a raucous Education Day crowd of 1,722 the ETSU Women’s Basketball team got double-doubles from junior Tianna Tarter (Johnson City, Tenn.) and sophomore Raven Dean (Charlotte, N.C.) as the Bucs held on for a 61-56 victory over Samford on Thursday.
It’s the fifth straight victory for the blue and gold as ETSU improves its overall record to 14-9 and 6-2 in the Southern Conference.
All-American candidate Tianna Tarter recorded the 10th double-double of her career and fifth this season with 21 points and 11 rebounds. Tarter went just 5-of-11 from the field but went 10-of-14 from the free-throw line. It’s the fifth time this season the reigning Southern Conference Player of the Week has made at least 10 free-throws. Tarter scored 10 of her 21 points in the fourth quarter.
Behind Tarter was sophomore Raven Dean who earned her second straight double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds. For the fifth time in the last six games Dean has collected double digit rebounds while it’s her fifth double-double of the season.
Senior Shamauria Bridges (Miramar,Fla.) was the third Buccaneer to score in double figures against Samford as Bridges registered 13 points on 5-of-15 shooting from the floor. In the third quarter alone Bridges had eight points, knocking down two three-pointers.
Offensively the Bucs outrebounded the Bulldogs, 39-25 while each team scored 26 points in the paint. ETSU forced Samford to commit 10 turnovers, scoring eight points off those turnovers.
ETSU will continue its three-game homestand as the Bucs host the Mercer Bears on Saturday, Feb.4 inside Brooks Gym. Tip-off is set for 2:00 p.m. as it’s ETSU’s annual Play4Kay game in which fans are encouraged to wear pink in support of breast cancer awareness.
• A combined 16 points were scored between ETSU and Samford in the first quarter
• ETSU led Samford, 3-2 for nearly four minutes to begin the first
• Tarter scored 5 of ETSU’s first 7 points as ETSU and Samford were tied at 7-7 with three minutes left in the first.
• Neither team was able to make a field goal the final two minutes of the first.
• End of the first quarter: ETSU 9, Samford 7
• Samford storms out of the gate with five straight points to begin the second
• Freshman Kelci Marosites (Elizabethton, Tenn.) knocked down a three from the right wing for her fifth straight game with a three-pointer to tie the game at 12-12.
• ETSU embarks on a 6-0 run to take a 14-12 lead with six minutes left in the second
• The Bucs go on a 13-5 run, making five of seven field goals.
• Samford ends the half with four straight points to cut into the ETSU lead
• Halftime: ETSU 22, Samford 19
• To begin the third the Bucs go on an 8-2 run scoring on three straight possessions.
• Tarter goes coast-to-coast for a lay-up to give ETSU a double-digit lead at 36-25
• The Bulldogs rally back with a 6-0 run
• Samford ends the third quarter on a 10-3 run making their last four shots
• End of the third quarter: ETSU 43, Samford 35
• Tarter scores 10 of her game-high 21 points in the fourth quarter
• With 2:10 left in the game, Samford’s Ellen Riggins hits a three-pointer from the left wing to give Samford a one point lead.
• Moments later, Tarter responds with a three from the right wing to regain the lead for ETSU
• Samford’s Hannah Nichols misses a lay-up that would have tied the game with a minute left as junior Micah Norris (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) corals the rebound.
• Down the stretch, Samford goes 0-of-5 from the field while the Bucs end the game on a 6-0 run
• Final: ETSU 61, Samford 56
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer women’s basketball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the women’s basketball page.