JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (April 30, 2019) – On Tuesday ETSU women’s basketball coach Brittney Ezell announced the signing of MTSU transfer Mykia Dowdell to the Buccaneer roster. Chick-fil-A Johnson City is the title sponsor of our signing releases during the 2018-19 season.
“We are thrilled to have Mykia Dowdell join our program,” shared head coach Brittney Ezell. “We recruited her early in high school and think highly of her entire family. Mykia comes from one of the premier high school programs in Tennessee and was well coached by Paige Redman at Oak Ridge High School. Mykia is a physically gifted athlete that will excel in our system as she can score at all three levels. She is a blue collar worker and that quality is extremely appealing to our staff. I know Buc Nation will love her effort and enthusiasm as much as we do. We have no doubt that Mykia will be extremely impactful to our program in a multitude of ways.”
Dowdell is also excited to join the Buccaneer program after playing her first season with the MTSU Lady Raiders.
“In life you want to surround yourself with great people; with people that have the same mission or goal as you,” Dowdell said. “The team and the people at ETSU are hard-working, loving and compassionate people. That’s something I wanted to be a part of. When I came on campus, it was like a big weight was lifted off my shoulders. Second chances are real, but we don’t always get them. Thankfully Coach E is blessing me with another opportunity. Now I have to reward her by helping her and this team win SoCon Championships. I have never met a coaching staff that was as invested in the players as people as much as they are players. Anybody would be BLESSED to be a player under Coach E, Coach Mac, and Coach Kelly.”
• Named to C-USA Commissioner's Honor Roll (3.0-3.74 GPA)
• Made Lady Raider debut with 16 minutes against Vanderbilt, contributing four points in the win
• Saw action in 12 games
• Four-year letter-winner for Head Coach Paige Redman at Oak Ridge High School
• Led Oak Ridge to back-to-back Class AAA state tournaments as a sophomore and junior
• Named to the All-Tournament team of the Class AAA Girls State Championship as a sophomore and junior
• Made 132 consecutive starts and scored more than 1,500 career points
• Knoxville News-Sentinel Prep Xtra Sophomore of the Year 2016
• Helped lead Oak Ridge to three consecutive District 3-AAA championships
• District MVP in 2016 & 2017
• Born May 22
• Daughter of Tammy Dowdell and Ronnell Threat
• Double Majoring in Business and Spanish with a minor in Communicative Disorders
ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
For more information on Buccaneer women’s basketball visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the women’s basketball page.