Women's soccer shows its character by defeating Morehead State, 2-1, Sunday
Sunday, August 31, 2008

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (August 31, 2008) -After a quick opening goal by Morehead State, the ETSU women's soccer team rallied and picked up its second victory of the season, defeating MSU 2-1, in overtime, Sunday, at Summers-Taylor Stadium. ETSU improves to 2-0, on the season, while Morehead State drops to 0-3.


After the opening kickoff by ETSU, Morehead State took advantage of a Buccaneer miscue, as MSU junior defender Bethany Davidson drove into the box and fired a shot that was deflected off of redshirt freshman goalkeeper Megan Masch (Virginia Beach, Va). MSU senior forward Kimmie Beiting then rebounded the loose ball and knocked in the goal to give the Eagles a 1-0, lead in the opening minute.


ETSU then went on the attack for the remainder of the first half posting 10 shots with six of them being on goal. However, MSU goalkeeper Samantha Yocke would turn away every Buccaneer chance giving the Eagles a one goal lead at the half.


"Give credit to Morehead's goalkeeper for doing a great job in the first half," said head coach Heather Henson. "I thought early in the first half we put pressure on their defense by serving the ball over the top and trying to find one of our forwards on the run. But Yocke made some outstanding saves to deny any opportunities we had. "


As the second half opened, ETSU's offense made a quick adjustment and continued to put pressure on the Eagles defense, posting 12 shots throughout the second period. After what looked like a golden opportunity by ETSU sophomore forward Terri Miller (Cape Coral, Fla.), that went just wide of the net with five minutes left in the match, ETSU would show its character by bouncing back quickly. With the entire ETSU bench standing in support, sophomore defender Jennifer Altimier (Cincinnati, Ohio) drove the ball off the crossbar from 30 yards out, which was then rebounded and headed into the goal by freshman midfielder Genna Petersen (Loveland, Ohio) with two minutes left in regulation. Both teams would then trade possession for the remainder of the half, as MSU and ETSU headed into the 10-minute golden goal overtime period knotted at 1-1.


"During the second half of play, I thought our team did a good job adjusting and playing the ball off of each others feet," said Henson. "The whole second half, our entire team was into the match standing and cheering each other on and I think that kept the intensity up until we got the game-tying goal. Not one girl on our team gave up and it really showed me and our coaching staff the character of this team coming back and tying the match. I think that was also the difference in the overtime period."


With the start of the extra period, both teams continued to alternate ball control before ETSU junior forward Jordan Monty (Mesquite, Texas) gained an Eagle turnover at midfield and dribbled the ball around her defender setting up a long pass to sophomore forward Rachel Van Horn (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) who drove home the game-winning goal past, Yocke, for the 2-1, victory.


"Anytime you can start a season 2-0, you have to be excited as a coach," said Henson. "Like our first game our girls fought hard throughout the match and at the end of the day, the score reflected that. Overall, this was a good win and hopefully we can take this momentum into this week at practice and get prepared for our match this upcoming Friday."


The Bucs return to action as they host Vanderbilt in a 4:00 p.m., Friday contest, at Summers-Taylor Stadium.