No. 23 Tennessee slips past Bucs in season opener
Saturday, August 22, 2009

Knoxville, Tenn. (August 22, 2009) - Two goals by Tennessee senior forward Mick Imgram proved to be too much as the ETSU women's soccer team fell 2-0 to its in-state rival Saturday at the Regal Soccer Stadium in Knoxville, Tenn.


"Tonight we did what we wanted to do with our gameplan and unfortunately we came up just short," said head coach Heather Henson. "Tennessee is the defending Southeastern Conference champion and against a high caliber club like them you can't slip up any."


The Lady Vols (1-0-0, 0-0-0 SEC) opened the scoring early as sophomore forward Emily Dowd crossed a pass into the box, where sophomore midfielder Emily Shore tapped a pass around the ETSU defense to Imgram, who fired home her seasons' first goal.


ETSU's (0-1-0, 0-0-0 A-Sun) blasted four shots in the first half - two apiece by senior forward Jordan Monty (Mesquite, Texas) and junior midfielder Jessica Huntington (Newsport News, Va.) - that were all denied by Lady Vol junior keeper Molly Baird.


"I thought Jessica and Jordan did an excellent job attacking Tennessee's back defenders in the first half," said Henson. "Throughout the start of the period we stood with Tennessee with some quality attempts from both ladies. Early in the opening period I believe we had a a shot lead, however we just were a bit unlucky finding the back of the net."


As second half play got underway Tennessee fired four shots before Imgram dribbled up the attacking zone firing her matches' second goal in the 78th minute.


The Lady Vols held a 16 shot advantage over the Bucs, however only four of their attempts were on goal.


"A lot of their shots were taken from the outside of our backline defense," said Henson. "All four of our defenders played the entire match and did an outstanding job shutting down Tennessee's offensive lanes. This forced them to take long shots over our defense."


Sophomore keeper Megan Masch (Virginia Beach, Va.) led the Bucs defense with four saves, while Baird tallied three for the Orange and White.


"Overall, I couldn't be prouder of how our team fought tonight," Henson said. "The level of play was where it needed to be. Now we are going to turn our focus to Monday's training and getting ready for Western Carolina next Friday."


ETSU returns to action with its second straight road match of the season at Western Carolina Aug. 28.


"I want to thank so many of our Bucs fans for coming out tonight," said Henson. "A number of families, former players and campers came out and gave us a great fan base. It is always great when you have that type of support pulling for you on the road." 


For more information on the ETSU women's soccer team please visit Also you can follow daily post and updates on the official ETSU women's soccer team Twitter page at