Buccaneers look to improve upon record-setting 2012 season
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Aug. 22, 2013) – The ETSU women’s soccer team will begin regular season play when it visits Appalachian State Friday, Aug. 23. The Buccaneers are looking to improve upon last season’s record-setting campaign, the program’s second consecutive 12-win season.
ETSU returns six starters and 15 letter-winners from last season’s squad that tied a program-record with 12 wins and ranked 29th in the nation in scoring offense, including eight seniors and the reigning Atlantic Sun Freshman of the Year Sarah Zadrazil (St. Gilgen, Austria).
“The older players have really stood out during the preseason,” ETSU third-year head coach Adam Sayers said. “They have done a nice job of helping to integrate the new players.”
The Buccaneers, welcoming seven new players to the mix, have enjoyed a stellar preseason, including an unbeaten exhibition slate with wins over Radford and Lees-McRae.
“Overall, I was very impressed and happy with exhibition play,” Sayers said. “The new players performed very well, and we were able to experiment with some different systems.”
LAST TIME OUT
- The Buccaneers wrapped up an unbeaten exhibition slate Monday, Aug. 19 with a commanding 3-0 win over Lees-McRae. ETSU outshot the Bobcats 23-3 and enjoyed goals from Emily Engelhaupt (Charlotte, N.C.), Alexa Passingham (Leicestershire, England), and Jenny Pöltl (Steinberg-Dorfl).
SCOUTING APPALACHIAN STATE
- The Mountaineers of Appalachian State return much of the core group that saw the program to its best year in school history. Appalachian State won 10 games last season and posted a 7-3-1 record in Southern Conference play. Led by fourth-year head coach Sarah Strickland, the Mountaineers were slated to finish fourth in the annual SoCon preseason coaches’ poll.
- Learn more about Appalachian State here.
- ETSU and Appalachian State are meeting in the regular season for the first time since 2004 when the teams finished in a scoreless draw. Last season, the teams met in exhibition play, tying at 1-1. All time, ETSU is 1-6-1 against Appalachian State; however, the Bucs have gone 1-1-1 in the past three contests.
- Live stats provided by Appalachian State will be available throughout the game and can be found clicking here.
FOLLOW THE BUCS
- ETSU fans wanting to receive Buccaneer news, score updates, in-game promotions and much more sent to their mobile device can do so by signing up for “Buc Updates.” Click here to sign up today!
- Follow the Bucs on Twitter @ETSUWSoccer for in-game updates, behind-the-scenes access, and much more!