Saturday, April 15, 2000
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. -- The East Tennessee State University women's tennis team today defeated Chattanooga, 5-4, on the ETSU tennis courts. It was the Bucs fourth consecutive win and improved their record to 11-4, 5-1 in the Southern Conference. Chattanooga fell to 10-10 overall, 6-2 in the Southern Conference.
It was a hard-fought match for ETSU. After having to default at No. 6 singles, the Bucs trailed 4-2 heading into doubles competition. ETSU swept the three matches, winning 9-7 at the No. 2 spot.
Megan Edwards won a grueling three-set affair at No. 4 singles and Eglantine Vitse won the other singles point at No. 5.
"This was a huge win for us," head coach Tom Russ said. "It was a great match and we are very proud of our outstanding effort."
The Bucs will return to action tomorrow at 10 a.m. when they host Georgia Southern.
1. Daniella Greco (UTC) def. Paty Vega (ETSU) 7-5, 6-7, 6-4
2. Karolina Glowacka (UTC) def. Mami Inoue (ETSU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Beth Henry (UTC) def. Rica Iida (ETSU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Megan Edwards (ETSU) def. Peita Horley (UTC) 6-7, 6-4, 6-4
5. Eglantine Vitse (ETSU) def. Katie Hangstefer (UTC) 6-1, 6-4
6. Angela Miller (UTC) won by default
1. Iida/Inoue (ETSU) def. Glowacka/Henry (UTC) 8-5
2. Edwards/Vega (ETSU) def. Greco/Harley (UTC) 9-7
3. Vitse/Prupas (ETSU) def. Hangstefer/Miller (UTC) 8-4
|Copyright ©2013 East Tennessee State Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ETSUBucs.com|