BOONE, N.C. (April 15, 2004) - The East Tennessee State women's tennis team picked up another win over a Southern Conference win with their 4-3 victory over Appalachian State on Thursday afternoon. With the win ETSU improves to 14-11 overall and 5-4 in the conference.
"It's always good to win a conference match on the road," stated head coach Steve Brooks. "I'm proud of how the girls played and that we were able to win the match early."
ETSU walked away from doubles with the point off of wins at the No. 1 and 3 positions. Mariya Ilyina (Kyiv, Ukraine) and Sylwia Ziolkowska (Warsaw, Poland) went 8-5 against Ania Gugger and Becky Gordan at No. 1. Appalachian State's Tammy Beaulieu and Lyndsey Free then picked up a win in No. 2 over Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia) and Jessica Irey (Clewiston, Fla.) in an 8-6 match. However, Courtney McInnis (Waterboro, Maine) and Aimee Villavicencio (Lexington, Ky.) picked up the win at No. 3 to secure the point in a 9-7 decision against Salem Kirven and Elena Berger.
In singles action ETSU picked up three quick wins from Ilyina at No. 5 (6-2, 6-0), Ziolkowska at No. 2 (1-6, 6-3, 6-1), and Irey at No. 4 (7-6 [7-4], 6-4).
The Buccaneers look to pick up another Southern Conference win when they return home tomorrow for their final match of the season against UNC Greensboro. ETSU's four seniors Tatiana Arriaran, Jessica Irey, Courtney McInnis, and Aimee Villavicencio will be recognized at the match.
Brooks said, "We would like to see a lot of people out on the courts tomorrow to support our four graduating seniors in their last home match."
Match time is set for 2:30 p.m. tomorrow afternoon.
ETSU 4, ASU 3
1. Sylwia Ziolkowska/Mariya Ilyina (ETSU) def. Ania Gugger/Becky Gordan (ASU) 8-5
2. Tammy Beaulieu/Lyndsey Free (ASU) def. Halim/Irey (ETSU) 8-6
3. Courtney McInnis/Aimee Villavicencio (ETSU) def. Salem Kirven/Elena Berger (ASU) 9-7
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Becky Gordon (ASU) def. Courtney McInnis (ETSU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Sylwia Ziolkowska (ETSU) def. Ania Gugger (ASU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Tammy Beaulieu (ASU) def. Gemma Halim (ETSU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Jessica Irey (ETSU) def. Lyndsey Free (ASU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
5. Mariya Ilyina (ETSU) def. Elena Berger (ASU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Salem Kirven (ASU) def. Jewel Aldea (ETSU) 6-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 4*, 1, 3, 6