CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (April 3, 2004) - The East Tennessee State women's tennis team battled to a 4-3 victory against the College of Charleston Cougars on Sunday. The Buccaneers improved to 13-9 overall, 4-3 in the Southern Conference with the win, while the Cougars fall to 14-7, 7-2.
"It's always good to beat last year's conference champion and we need to enjoy the victory" stated head coach Steve Brooks. "Almost every match that we played today was tight."
ETSU started the match in the right direction by securing the doubles point. At the No. 1 slot Buccaneers Sylwia Ziolkowska (Warsaw, Poland) and Mariya Ilyina (Kyiv, Ukraine) won 8-3 over Maxine Capewell and Gabriella Moreira. Jessica Irey (Clewiston, Fla.) and Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia) then beat Lauren Stewart and Rachel Magory 9-8 at No. 2 for the point. In the No. 3 position, Courtney McInnis (Waterboro, Maine) and Jewel Aldea (Charleston, S.C.) fought Whitney Malina and Ashley Willis but fell 8-4.
In singles action, the Cougars came out strong winning two points from Stewart at No. 6 (6-0, 6-1) and Magory at No. 1 (6-3, 6-4).
ETSU senior Irey then tied up the score two all with her win at the No. 4 slot over Capewell (6-3, 7-6 (4)).
The scales then teetered in the direction of the College of Charleston as Moreira defeated ETSU's Ziolkowska in the No. 2 position (6-1, 2-6, 6-4). Fortunately for the Bucs, junior Halim pulled out a victory at the No. 3 slot in a close 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (2) decision.
With the team totals tied at 3-3, all eyes turned to the No. 5 slot where Ilyina was battling Andreea Niculescu. Both fought hard, but in the end Ilyina emerged victorious for the Bucs, 5-7, 7-5, 6-4.
The Buccaneers will continue conference action this week as they travel to face Furman Thursday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.
ETSU 4, C of C 3
1. Rachel Magory (C of C) def. Courtney McInnis (ETSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Gabriella Moreira (C of C) def. Sylwia Ziolkowska (ETSU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
3. Gemma Halim (ETSU) def. Whitney Malina (C of C) 3-6, 6-1, 7-6 (2)
4. Jessica Irey (ETSU) def. Maxine Capewell (C of C) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
5. Mariya Ilyina (ETSU) def. Andreea Niculescu (C of C) 5-7, 7-5, 6-4
6. Lauren Stewart (C of C) def. Tatiana Arriaran (ETSU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 4, 2, 3, 5*
* - Clinching point
1. Ziolkowska/Ilyina (ETSU) def Capewell/Moreira (C of C) 8-3
2. Halim/Irey (ETSU) def. Stewart/Magory (C of C) 9-8
3. Malina/Willis (C of C) def. McInnis/Jewel Aldea (ETSU) 8-4
Order of Finihs: 3, 1, 2