JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (April 5, 2005) - The Buccaneer women's tennis team dropped a tough 5-2 decision to the Paladins on a sunny Tuesday afternoon on the ETSU tennis courts. ETSU's record now stands at 16-6 overall, 6-2 in the SoCon, while the Furman's record improves to 14-3, 5-0.
In doubles, action began with Furman's Mary Neill Hagood and Caroline Bentley defeating the Bucs' Masha Ilina (Kyiv, Ukraine) and Sylwia Ziolkowska (Warsaw, Poland) at No. 1, 8-2. Sandie Knight (Adamstown, Australia) and Elena Volobueva (Barcelona, Spain) then finished at No. 2 with an 8-3 win over Shannon Morris and Jacqueline Eckert. At No. 3, the pair of Olya Batsula (Minsk, Belarus) and Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia) took the point for ETSU in a close 9-7 decision over Marti Moore and Lauren Osborne.
In singles action, ETSU put up a fight, but Furman took five straight points for the win. ETSU's Batsula then added the Bucs only point at singles for the 5-2 final with a win at the No. 4 slot in a 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 battle.
"Furman is tough and that's why they're SoCon champions year in and year out," stated Head Coach Steve Brooks. "I thought after winning the doubles point that we were going to do it, but we lost close ones at two and three, up a break in the third set and losing those ended up losing the match. We still have two matches to go before the tournament and hopefully we can win those to gain confidence before we head into the tournament."
The Bucs will now prepare to host Appalachian State this Saturday, March 9 at noon.
East Tennessee State 2, Furman 5
1. Hagood/Bentley (FU) d. Ilina/Ziolkowska (ETSU) 8-2
2. Volobueva/Knight (ETSU) d. Morris/Eckert (FU) 8-3
3. Batsula/Halim (ETSU) d. Moore/Osborne (FU) 9-7
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Mary Neill Hagood (FU) d. Sandie Knight (ETSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Caroline Bentley (FU) d. Masha Ilina (ETSU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
3. Shannon Moore (FU) d. Sylwia Ziolkowska (ETSU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Olya Batsula (ETSU) d. Jacqueline Eckert (FU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Marti Morris (FU) d. Elena Volobueva (ETSU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Lauren Osborne (FU) d. Gemma Halim (ETSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 6, 2*, 3, 4
* - Clinching point