JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (April 3, 2005) - The East Tennessee State University women's tennis team swept UT Chattanooga 7-0 Sunday afternoon on the courts in the Memorial Center. The Bucs' record improves to 16-5 overall, 6-1 in the SoCon, while the Mocs' record falls to 3-17, 1-6.
ETSU started action by taking all three matches for the doubles point. The first pair to finish was Olya Batsula (Minsk, Belarus) and Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia) at No. 3, who defeated Emily Harpe and Christy Fazio in an 8-1 decision. Sandie Knight (Adamstown, Australia) and Elena Volobueva (Barcelona, Spain) then finished at No. 2 to decide the point with a win over Bonnie Adams and Francesca Guerrieri, 8-1. Doubles action would finish with Masha Ilina (Kyiv, Ukraine) and Sylwia Ziolkowska (Warsaw, Poland) winning the No. 1 slot 8-6 over Bethany Everett and Lindsey Ballard.
In singles action, Ziolkowska opened scoring for the Bucs in a quick 6-0, 6-0 decision at No. 3 over Harpe. Batsula followed at No. 4 also winning 6-0, 6-0 against Adams. At No. 2, Ilina brought in the deciding point in a win over Everett (6-4, 3-0, retired injury).
"It's great to be 6-1 in the SoCon," said Head Coach Steve Brooks. "We played well today and I hope we can carry the confidence from these weekend wins into the match against Furman. They are a tough team and have won 56 SoCon matches in a row."
Up next for ETSU is a match up against Furman this Tuesday, April 5. Match time is set for 2:30 p.m.
East Tennessee State 7, UT Chattanooga 0
1. Ilina/Ziolkowska (ETSU) d. Everett/Ballard (UTC) 8-6
2. Volobueva/Knight (ETSU) d. Adams/Guerrieri (UTC) 8-1
3. Batsula/Halim (ETSU) d. Harpe/Fazio (UTC) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Sandie Knight (ETSU) d. Lindsey Ballard (UTC) 6-4, 6-4
2. Masha Ilina (ETSU) d. Bethany Everett (UTC) 6-4, 3-0 ret. injury
3. Sylwia Ziolkowska (ETSU) d. Emily Harpe (UTC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Olya Batsula (ETSU) d. Bonnie Adams (UTC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Elena Volobueva (ETSU) d. Christy Fazio (UTC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Gemma Halim (ETSU) d. Francesca Guerrieri (UTC) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 2*, 5, 6, 1
* - Clinching point