BUIES CREEK, N.C. (Feb. 26, 2005) - The East Tennessee State women's tennis team defeated future Atlantic Sun opponent Campbell University 7-0 Saturday afternoon on the road, extending the Buccaneer winning streak to seven games. ETSU improves to 7-2 overall, 1-0 SoCon with the win, while the Campbell falls to 2-6 with the loss.
"Campbell is a very good team they played very hard," stated head coach Steve Brooks. "We played a little better today and are getting used to playing outside in the elements and to the timing of the courts. We were a little tired from yesterday, but the girls have been working on fitness and this is a good test to see if the work is paying off."
Olya Batsula (Minsk, Belarus) and Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia) of ETSU took the first win in doubles for the Bucs at No. 3 defeating Stacey Batkiewicz and Colen Gore 8-3. The Bucs then clinched the doubles point with a win from Sandie Knight (Adamstown, Australia) and Elena Volobueva (Barcelona, Spain) at No. 2. ETSU was down 6-2 before coming back strong for an 8-6 win over Campbell's Nina Surviladze and Iva Stojancev. At No. 1 play continued, but Masha Ilina (Kyiv, Ukraine) and Sylwia Ziolkowska (Warsaw, Poland) fell 8-4 to Georgiana Marta and Scarlet Alfonzo.
In singles, ETSU collected all six wins from Volobueva at No. 1 (7-5, 0-6, 10-7), Ilina at No. 2 (6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-1), Zilkowska at No. 3 (3-6, 6-0, 6-0), Knight at No. 4 (6-2, 6-1), Batsula at No. 5 (6-1, 6-1), and Sherwood at No. 6 (6-1, 6-4).
"Overall I'm happy with the results from these past two days and hope we can win again tomorrow," commented Brooks. "These matches have taught us what we need to work on and are making us tougher for the season."
ETSU wraps up its three consecutive days of road competition with a match against SoCon opponent UNC Greensboro tomorrow at noon.
East Tennessee State 7, Campbell 0
1. Marta/Alfonzo(CU) d. Ilina/Ziolkowska (ETSU) 8-4
2. Knight/Volobueva (ETSU) d. Surviladze/Stojancev (CU) 8-6
3. Batsula/Halim (ETSU) d. Batkiewicz/Gore (CU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Elena Volobueva (ETSU) d. Georgiana Marta (CU) 7-5, 0-6, 10-7
2. Masha Ilina (ETSU) d. Scarlet Alfonzo (CU) 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-1
3. Sylwia Ziolkowska (ETSU) d. Nina Surviladze (CU) 3-6, 6-0, 6-0
4. Sandie Knight (ETSU) d. Iva Stojancev (CU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Olya Batsula (ETSU) d. Stacey Batkiewicz (CU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Muriel Sherwood (ETSU) d. Colen Gore (CU) 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5,4,3*,6,1,2
* - Clinching Point