RICHMOND, Ky. (February 8, 2008) - The ETSU women's tennis team defeated Ohio Valley Conference foe Eastern Kentucky, 7-0 before falling to the Miami-Ohio Redhawks, 5-2 on Friday evening at the Greg Adams Tennis Center.
Against the Colonels of Eastern Kentucky the Lady Bucs claimed the doubles point winning in the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. Competing in the first position, Yevgeniya Stupak (Kyiv, Ukraine) and Olya Batsula (Minsk, Belarus) defeated Svetlana Pimenova and Alexandra Sitnikova, 8-5, while Tara Byrne (Johnson City, Tenn.) and Tara Sheets (Gate City, Va.) dropped Vera Heimeroth and Jemma Euers, 8-3 in the No. 2 slot. In the third position Whitney Trotter (Guadalajara, Mexico) and Vita Moskaliova (Minsk, Belarus) fell to Meredith Giles and Anouk Faure, 8-5.
In singles action Yevgeniya Stupak defeated Svetlana Pimenova in the No. 1 position, 6-0, 6-3 while Tara Byrne dropped Meredith Giles 7-6(4), 6-0 in the second slot. In the third position Olya Batsula came out on top in a hard-fought battle against Alexandra Sitnikova, 2-6, 7-6(4), 10-7, as Tara Sheets dropped Vera Heimeroth in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0 in the No. 4 position. In the fifth slot, Andra Voinea (Brasov, Romania) defeated Anouk Faure, 6-7, 7-5, 10-8 and Whitney Trotter defeated Jemma Euers, 6-3, 5-7, 10-6 in the No. 6 position.
"This is the best Eastern Kentucky team I've ever seen. They played really well and fought very hard," said head coach Steve Brooks. "They are one of the best teams in the OVC this year. They played us really tough."
In the nightcap the Lady Bucs dropped the doubles point as Byrne and Sheets fell in the second position to Anastasia Dracheva and Megan Martzoff, 8-6 while Trotter and Moskaliova were defeated by Sydnee Bridger and Leda Pesatova in the No. 3 position, 8-3. In the No. 1 position, Batsula and Stupak defeated Britney Larson and Cara Wald, 8-7(4).
In the singles Stupak fell to Anastasia Dracheva, 6-3, 6-4 in the top position, while Byrne fell to Britney Larson, 7-5, 6-3 in the second slot. Batsula picked up the first point for the Lady Bucs in the No. 3 position as she defeated Megan Martzoff, 6-4, 6-7(3), 10-3. Competing in the fourth slot, Sheets fell to Leda Pesatova, 6-2, 6-2 while Moskaliova fell to Cara Wald, 8-2 in the No. 6 position. Newcomer Voinea picked up the second point for ETSU as she defeated Kelly Douple, 2-6, 7-6(3), 10-7.
"The girls were really tired from our earlier match and we were really hurt by not having Elena Volobueva (Barcelona, Spain) in our lineup, especially in the doubles. We played hard but now we're just focused on getting a good night's rest and getting back out on the court tomorrow," said Brooks.
The Lady Bucs will take on No. 28 Kentucky on Saturday, February 9 at 5 p.m. For all the latest in ETSU women's tennis please visit www.ETSUBucs.com.
ETSU 7, EKU 0
1. Yevgeniya Stupak (ETSU) def. Svetlana Pimenova (EKU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Tara Byrne (ETSU) def. Meredith Giles (EKU) 7-6(4), 6-0
3. Olya Batsula (ETSU) def. Alexandra Sitnikova (EKU) 2-6, 7-6(4), 10-7
4. Tara Sheets (ETSU) def. Vera Heimeroth (EKU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Andra Voinea (ETSU) def. Anouk Faure (EKU) 6-7, 7-5, 10-8
6. Whitney Trotter (ETSU) def. Jemma Euers (EKU) 6-3, 5-7, 10-6
1. Batsula/Stupak (ETSU) def. Pimenova/Sitnikova (EKU) 8-5
2. Byrne/Sheets (ETSU) def. Heimeroth/Euers (EKU) 8-3
3. Giles/Faure (EKU) def. Moskaliova/Trotter (ETSU) 8-5
Miami-Ohio 5, ETSU 2
1. Anastasia Dracheva (Miami-Ohio) def. Yevgeniya Stupak (ETSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Britney Larson (Miami-Ohio) def. Tara Byrne (ETSU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Olya Batsula (ETSU) def. Megan Martzoff (Miami-Ohio) 6-4, 6-7(3), 10-3
4. Leda Pesatova (Miami-Ohio) def. Tara Sheets (ETSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Andra Voinea (ETSU) def. Kelly Douple (Miami-Ohio) 2-6, 7-6(3), 10-7
6. Cara Wald (Miami-Ohio) def. Vita Moskaliova (ETSU) 8-2
1. Batsula/Stupak (ETSU) def. Larson/Wald (Miami-Ohio) 8-7(4)
2. Dracheva/Martzoff (Miami-Ohio) def. Byrne/Sheets (ETSU) 8-6
3. Bridger/Pesatova (Miami-Ohio) def. Moskaliova/Trotter (ETSU) 8-3