CHARLESTON, S.C. (March 21, 2003) - East Tennessee State University's women's tennis team fell to Southern Conference opponent College of Charleston, 6-1, Friday in Charleston, S.C.
The Buccaneers, who have been on the road since March 15, have lost their last six matches. With today's loss the Buccaneers fall to 8-10 on the season.
"It has been a long road trip and I know the ladies are tired," said Buccaneer head coach Steve Brooks. "We are finding lots to work on, but right now we just need to get a win."
ETSU did pick-up a victory from the doubles tandem of Jessica Irey (Clewiston, Fla.) and Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia) at the number one doubles spot. Irey and Halim defeated Charleston's Maike Hartung and Gabriella Moreira, 8-2. Charleston went on to win the next two doubles matches to earn the point.
Buccaneer junior Tatiana Arriaran (Cochabamba, Bolivia) defeated Charleston's Emily Scatuorchio, 1-6, 7-5, 1-0 (2), at number six singles. That wouldn't be enough, however, as the Cougars won their first five singles matches to secure the victory.
"We played real well at number one doubles and Tatiana played tough for us at number six," Brooks added.
The Buccaneers will play Charleston Southern tomorrow, before returning home to host Western Carolina, Sunday, March 23 at the ETSU outdoor tennis complex.
No. 67 College of Charleston 6, EAST TENNESSEE STATE 1
1. Rachel Magory (CofC) def. Sylwia Zoilkowska (ETSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Gabriella Moreira (CofC) def.Gemma Halim (ETSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Whitney Malina (CofC def. Jessica Irey (ETSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Maike Hartung (CofC) def. Jewel Aldea (ETSU) 7-5, 7-5
5. Lauren Stewart (CofC) def. Courtney McInnis (ETSU) , 6-1, 7-6
6. Tatiana Arriaran (ETSU) def.Emily Scatuorchio, 1-6, 7-5, 1-0 (2)
1. Halim/Irey (ETSU) def. Hartung/Moreira (CofC), 8-2
2. Magory/Stewart (CofC) def. McInnis/Aldea (ETSU), 8-0
3. Malina/Scatuorchio (CofC) def. Villavicencio/Ziolkowska (ETSU), 8-1