CHARLESTON, S.C. (March 18, 2003) - For the second straight match the East Tennessee State University women's tennis team fell short as the Buccaneers dropped a 4-3 decision to Murray State Tuesday afternoon.
ETSU won two of the three doubles matches to win the point, but then saw Murray State win four straight singles matches to claim the victory. The Buccaneers had doubles victories from the tandems of Jessica Irey (Clewiston, Fla.) and Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia) at number one doubles and from Jewel Aldea (Charleston, S.C.) and Courtney McInnis (Waterboro, Maine) at the number three doubles position. Irey and Halim defeated Murray State's Melissa Spencer and Jaclyn Leeper, 8-4, while Aldea and McInnis defeated Cheryl Graham and Tami McQueen, 8-3.
In singles play, the Buccaneers had victories from McInnis and Tatiana Arriaran (Cochabamba, Bolivia) at the five and six spots. McInnis won a three set decision over Graham, 5-7, 6-1, 6-2 at number five singles. Arriaran defeated McQueen in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1, at the number six position.
"We played much better in our doubles matches today," Buccaneer head coach Steve Brooks said. "We just didn't get it done, we are young, and mentally we just aren't where we need to be."
ETSU is on the back end of a five-match road trip, which started at Winthrop on the 8th, and will end on the 21st. Up next for the Buccaneers will be Charleston Southern on March 20 followed by Southern Conference foe, the College of Charleston, on the 21st. With the loss the Buccaneers fell to 8-9 on the season, 0-2 in SoCon play.
MURRAY STATE 4, EAST TENNESSEE STATE 3
1. Melissa Spencer (MSU) def. Sylwia Zoilkowska (ETSU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Jaclyn Leeper (MSU) def.Gemma Halim (ETSU) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
3. Jennifer Ward (MSU) def. Jessica Irey (ETSU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Annette Steen (MSU) def. Jewel Aldea (ETSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Courtney McInnis (ETSU) def. Cheryl Graham (MSU) 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
6. Tatiana Arriaran (ETSU) def.Tami McQueen (MSU) 6-4, 6-1
1. Halim/Irey (ETSU) def. Spencer/Leeper (MSU) 8-4
2. Ward/Steen (MSU) def. Ziolkowska/Aimee Villavicencio (ETSU) 8-2
3. McInnis/Aldea (ETSU) def. Graham/McQueen (MSU), 8-3