GREENVILLE, S.C. (April 7, 2004) - The East Tennesse State women's tennis team fell by a score of 6-1 to the Lady Paladins, who remain perfect in conference play (8-0), and continue a streak of forty-nine consecutive regular season conference wins. With the road loss, East Tennessee State falls to 13-10 overall, 4-4 SoCon while Furman improves to 13-7, 8-0.
"Today's match was very important, and it was crucial for us to win the doubles point," commented head coach Steve Brooks. "We needed that point and we weren't able to pull it off. It was a big hill to climb in the singles and the matches were close all the way down."
Furman swept the doubles portion of the match to gain the early one point advantage.
In singles Mary Neill Hagood eased by Courtney McInnis (Waterboro, Maine) 6-2, 6-0 at No.1 and in flight two Shannon Moore downed Sylwia Ziolkowska (Warsaw, Poland) 6-2, 7-5. Jacqueline Eckert fought off a first set tiebreaker to win over Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia) 7-6(4), 6-4 in the No. 3 slot, and at No.4 Caroline Bentley won in three sets over Jessica Irey (Clewiston, Fla.) 5-7, 6-2, 12-10. In flight six Bonnie Baird won in straight sets 6-1, 6-1 over Jewel Aldea (Charleston, S.C.).
East Tennessee State picked up their only point in the No.5 slot with Mariya Ilyina (Kyiv, Ukraine) downing Marti Morris 6-4, 7-5.
The Bucs move on to play Winthrop on the road Friday, April 9 at 1:00 p.m.
Furman 6, ETSU 1
1. Bentley/Eckert (FUR) def. Ziolkowska/Ilyina (ETSU) 8-4
2. Hagood/Morris (FUR) def. Halim/Irey (ETSU) 8-2
3. Moore/Bornt-Davis (FUR) def. Arriaran/Villaviencio (ETSU) 8-5
1. Mary Neill Hagood (FUR) def. Courtney McInnis (ETSU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Shannon Moore (FUR) def. Sylwia Ziolkowska (ETSU) 6-2, 7-5
3. Jacqueline Eckert (FUR) def. Gemma Halim (ETSU) 7-6(4), 6-4
4. Caroline Bentley (FUR) def. Jessica Irey (ETSU) 5-7, 6-2, 12-10
5. Mariya Ilyina (ETSU) def. Marti Morris (FUR) 6-4, 7-5
6. Bonnie Baird (FUR) def. Jewel Aldea (ETSU) 6-1, 6-1
Furman 13-7, 8-0 SoCon
East Tennessee State 13-10, 4-4 SoCon