CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (April 3, 2004) - The East Tennessee State women's tennis team was swept by in-state Southern Conference rival Chattanooga Saturday afternoon at the UTC Tennis Complex.
The four UTC seniors took control on the court as they celebrated their senior day. UTC's senior Catherine Allen clinched the contest with a 7-5, 7-5 win over Mariya Ilyina (Kyiv, Ukraine) at No. 5. senior Saskia van Velze posted her team-high 12th win with a victory at No. 4 over Buccaneer senior Jessica Irey (Clewiston, Fla.) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2. Senior Charlotte Goude downed ETSU senior Courtney McInnis (Waterboro, Maine) 6-1, 6-2 at No. 1 and senior Cynthia Oulevay squeaked past Sylwia Ziolkowska (Warsaw, Poland) 7-6, 7-6 at No. 2.
Freshman Lucie Barney posted a win at No. 3 over Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia) 6-1, 6-2 and junior Bethany Everett got past Tatiana Arriaran (Cochabamba, Bolivia) in straight sets 6-3, 7-5 at No. 6. In doubles play, the Lady Mocs swept all three matches with identical 8-5 wins to go up 1-0 heading into singles.
Head coach Steve Brooks, "It's always tough to play Chattanooga in Chattanooga, and today it was extremely tough. Hopefully, we can put this loss behind us and come back tomorrow and play strong at home."
The Buccaneers are 12-9 on the season and 3-3 against the league. They will return home tomorrow to host SoCon opponent the College of Charleston. Match time is set for 10:30 a.m.
UTC 7, ETSU 0
1. Charlotte Goude (UTC) def. Courtney McInnis (ETSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Cynthia Oulevay (UTC) def. Sylwia Ziolkowska (ETSU) 7-6, 7-6
3. Lucie Barney (UTC) def. Gemma Halim (ETSU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Saskia van Velze (UTC) def. Jessica Irey (ETSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
5. Catherine Allen (UTC) def. Mariya Ilyina (ETSU) 7-5, 7-5
6. Bethany Everett (UTC) def. Tatiana Arriaran (ETSU) 6-3, 7-5
1. Allen/Oulevay (UTC) def. Ziolkowska/Ilyina (ETSU) 8-5
2. Goude/van Velze (UTC) def. Halim/Irey (ETSY) 8-5
3. Barney/Everett (UTC) def. McInnis/Jewel Aldea (ETSU) 8-5
UT Chattanooga 7-10, 5-4 SoCon
East Tennessee State 12-9, 3-3 SoCon