JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Feb. 8, 2004) - The East Tennessee State women's tennis team defeated Liberty University Flames 4-3 early Sunday afternoon.
Liberty started the match notching the doubles point by winning all three matches against ETSU.
In singles action, Courtney McInnis (Waterboro, Maine), Sylwia Ziolkowska (Warsaw, Poland), Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia), and Mariya Ilyina (Kyiv, Ukraine) won their singles matches for the Bucs' four points.
McInnis played a strong match against Jonita Randolph in the No. 1 slot. The Buc senior emerged victorious with a 7-6 (4), 6-0 decision.
Head coach Steve Brooks commented on the match, "We started out flat in the first half, but came out in the second half to get the job done."
The Bucs will continue today's action with a 4:30 p.m. match against Carson-Newman and a 7:00 p.m. match against Milligan.
ETSU 4, Liberty 3
1. Courtney McInnis (ETSU) def. Jonita Randolph (Liberty) 7-6 (4), 6-0
2. Sylwia Ziolkowska (ETSU) def. Chanell Meijer (Liberty) 6-4, 6-2
3. Stacey Housley def. Jessica Irey (ETSU) (Liberty) 6-2, 6-1
4. Gemma Halim (ETSU) def. Andreea Cotuna (Liberty) 6-0, 6-1
5. Mariya Ilyina (ETSU) def. Nichole Duncan 6-0, 6-2
6. Clara Gonzales Dorado def. Jewel Aldea (ETSU) 6-4, 4-6, (1-0) 11
1. Jonita Randolph/Chanell Meijer (Liberty) def. Sylwia Ziolkowska/Mariya Ilyina (ETSU) 8-5
2. Stacey Housley/Andreea Cotuna (Liberty) def. Jessica Irey/Gemma Halim (ETSU) 8-6
3. Clara Gonzales Dorado/Nichole Duncan (Liberty) def. Tatiana Arriaran/Aimee Villavilencio (ETSU) 8-5