CHARLESTON, S.C. (April 23, 2005) - The fourth seeded East Tennessee State University women's tennis team fell to top seeded Furman by a score of 4-1 Saturday morning at the Earle Tennis Center on The Citadel campus. While the score was 4-1, the battle between the two rivals lasted four and a half hours.
The Bucs began the battle with the Paladins by capturing the doubles point. Furman's Caroline Bentley and Mary Neill Hagood made the first move with an 8-1 win at No. 1 over ETSU's Masha Ilina (
In singles action, Furman would pick up four wins in hard-fought battles to decide the match at 4-1.
"I thought by the way we fought in doubles, that today was our day," stated head coach Steve Brooks. "When it came down to the last three on the court I thought we were going to tough it out. Elena was up a set and battling hard, Olya was starting to get in the zone and Sylwia went up 4-2. I give credit to Shannon Moore because she fought hard and she got up 5-4 knowing there was going to be a ball change and with the new ball she served out the match."
1. Bentley/Hagood (FUR) d. Ilina/Ziolkowska (ETSU) 8-1
2. Volobueva/Knight (ETSU) d. Morris/Osborne (FUR) 9-8 (7-4)
3. Batsula/Halim (ETSU) d. Moore/Lisa Bornt-
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Mary Neill Hagood (FUR) d. Sandie Knight (ETSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Caroline Bentley (FUR) d. Masha Ilina (ETSU) 7-5, 6-0
3. Shannon Moore (FUR) d. Sylwia Ziolkowska (ETSU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Olya Batsula (ETSU) vs. Jacqueline Eckert (FUR) DNF
5. Elena Volobueva (ETSU) vs. Marti Morris (FUR) DNF
6. Lauren Osborne (FUR) d. Gemma Halim (ETSU) 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 1, 3*
* - Clinching point