COOKEVILLE, Tenn. (Mar. 29, 2005) - The East Tennessee State women's tennis team defeated Tennessee Tech by a score of 6-1 in an afternoon match in Cookeville. With the win, the Bucs improve to 14-4 overall and are 4-1 in the SoCon play, while the loss breaks the Golden Eagles four match winning streak and drops them to 5-3 on the season.
The Bucs started doubles action with a win from Olya Batsula (Minsk, Belarus) and Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia) at No. 3 over Maja Russinova and Melisa Consado, 8-3, but Golden Eagles would pick up wins at slots one and two for their lone point of the match.
In singles action, East Tennessee State answered by sweeping all six points. Sophomore Masha Ilina (Kyiv, Ukraine) would begin the attack with a win at No. 2 over Alet Boonzaaier, 6-4, 6-2. Batsula would then win her match at No. 5, 6-4, 6-4 over Kay Ngiam, while Sylwia Ziolkowska (Warsaw, Poland) would pick up a win at No. 3 over Melisa Consado 7-5, 6-4. Freshman Elena Volobueva (Barcelona, Spain) would then pick up the deciding point at No. 4 against Margot Carter, 6-4, 6-3. Sandie Knight (Adamstown, Australia) playing in position one and Halim in position six would then bring in two more wins for the 6-1 final. Halim's win is her 56th career win and places her ninth on ETSU's all-time singles career top-ten list.
"We played flat in doubles, but I'm proud of how the girls stepped up and played tough from top to bottom in singles," commented Head Coach Steve Brooks. "Hopefully this will be motivation for the upcoming home stretch."
The Bucs continue action tomorrow, March 30 as they host Winthrop. Match time is set for 2:00 p.m.
On the upcoming home matches Brooks stated, "We have a good team and hopefully we'll be able to get some good crowds out at the courts to watch so we can show them what ETSU tennis is all about."
East Tennessee State 6, Tennessee Tech 1
1. Tasheva/Boonzaaier (TTU) d. Ilina/Ziolkowska (ETSU) 9-7
2. Carter/Ngiam (TTU) d. Volobueva/Knight (ETSU) 8-3
3. Batsula/Halim (ETSU) d. Russinova/Consado (TTU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Sandie Knight (ETSU) d. Marina Tasheva (TTU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Masha Ilina (ETSU) d. Alet Boonzaaier (TTU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Sylwia Ziolkowska (ETSU) d. Melisa Consado (TTU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Elena Volobueva (ETSU) d. Margot Carter (TTU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Olya Batsula (ETSU) d. Kay Ngiam (TTU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Gemma Halim (ETSU) d. Maja Russinova (TTU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2,5,3,4*,1, 6
* - Clinching point