DAVIDSON, N.C. (Mar. 18, 2005) - The Buccaneer women's tennis team lost their first SoCon match of the season by the Davidson College Wildcats in a 6-1 decision on Friday afternoon. East Tennessee State's record now stands at 11-4 overall, 4-1 in the SoCon, while Davidson is 11-3, 4-0.
The Buccaneers picked up their lone point of the match in doubles with wins at No. 1 and No. 3. The pair of Sylwia Ziolkowska (Warsaw, Poland) and Masha Ilina's (Kyiv, Ukraine) defeated Meghan Fillnow and Kelly Fillnow 8-3, while Olya Batsula (Minsk, Belarus) and Gemma Halim (Jakarta, Indonesia) paired at No. 3 to defeat Kim Whelan and Lindsey Powel.
From that point, the tides turned as the Wildcats took each singles point in straight sets.
"Davidson is a tough team and they are very consistent," stated Head Coach Steve Brooks. "The scores weren't indicative of how the match went. We just couldn't win the point. Tomorrow we need to come out strong and covert to win the ad points."
Weekend action continues for women's tennis as they travel to Charlotte, N.C. to face UNC Charlotte tomorrow morning at 11:00 a.m.
East Tennessee State 6, Davidson 1
1. Ilina/Ziolkowska (ETSU) d. Fillnow/Fillnow (DAV) 8-3
2. Patterson/Linville (DAV) d. Knight/Volobueva (ETSU) 8-5
3. Batsula/Halim (ETSU) d. Powel/Whelan (DAV) 8-3
1. Kelly Fillnow (DAV) d. Sandie Knight (ETSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Meggie Patterson (DAV) d. Masha Ilina (ETSU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Kelsey Linville (DAV) d. Sylwia Ziolkowska (ETSU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Meghan Fillnow (DAV) d. Elena Volobueva (ETSU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Kate Levitt (DAV) d. Olya Batsula (ETSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Kim Whelan (DAV) d. Gemma Halim (ETSU) 6-1, 6-2