NEW HAVEN, Conn. (Feb. 13, 2011) - The ETSU women's tennis team wrapped up their northeast road swing with a 7-0 loss to No. 40 Yale, Sunday afternoon at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center.
With the victory, Yale moves to 6-2 on the season, while ETSU drops to 2-3 on the year. Yale was the second nationally ranked team the Bucs have faced this season. ETSU fell to No. 53 Wake Forest just two weeks ago.
"Overall we played a high level of tennis today," said ETSU assistant coach Travis Sandlant. "Yale is a great team and we played the best we could, but they certainly deserved to win. I like where we are at as a team and these matches are going to prepare and make us stronger for conference play."
Yale got off to a quick start in doubles play by earning a victory at the No. 1 position when Elizabeth Epstein and Silia DeFilippis defeated Marine Wieliczko (Rouen, France) and Diana Navrostska (Lviv, Ukraine), 8-3. However, ETSU tied the match back up at the No. 2 position when Tara Sheets (Gate City, Va.) and Kelly Holtzhausen (Johannesburg, South Africa) knocked off Stephanie Kent and Annie Sullivan, 8-6. Yale was able to hold off the Bucs in the doubles portion as Vicky Brook and Lindsay Clark got past Paula Jaime (Madrid, Spain) and Karina Kedzo (Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela), 9-7.
In singles play, Yale gained control early on and won all six singles matches. The Bulldogs won five of the six matches in straight sets. Wieliczko was the only ETSU player to take a match to three sets as she fell to Blair Seideman, 4-6, 7-6 (5), 1-0 (5).
The Bucs continue their road swing on Friday, Feb. 19 when they travel to Atlanta to take on Georgia State. The match is set for 12 noon.
ETSU vs. Yale
Feb 13, 2011 at New Haven, Conn.
#40 Yale 7, ETSU 0
1. Vicky Brook (Yale) def. Kelly Holtzhausen (ETSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Elizabeth Epstein (Yale) def. Paula Jaime (ETSU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Blair Seideman (Yale) def. Marine Wieliczko (ETSU) 4-6, 7-6 (5), 1-0 (5)
4. Stevi Petrelli (Yale) def. Karina Kedzo (ETSU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Annie Sullivan (Yale) def. Diana Navrostska (ETSU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Kim Szokol (Yale) def. Andra Voinea (ETSU) 6-4, 6-1
1. Vicky Brook/Lindsay Clark (Yale) def. Paula Jaime/Karina Kedzo (ETSU) 9-7
2. Kelly Holtzhausen/Tara Sheets (ETSU) def. Stephanie Kent/Annie Sullivan (Yale) 8-6
3. Elizabeth Epstein/Silia DeFilippis (Yale) def. Diana Navrostska/Marine Wieliczko (ETSU) 8-3
East Tennessee State 2-3
Yale 6-2; National ranking #40