GREENVILLE, S.C. (Jan. 30, 2014) - Competing with just five players, the ETSU women's tennis team fell short on the road Thursday, losing to Southern Conference opponent Furman, 4-3.
The Bucs (1-2) won three singles points; however, the doubles spots proved to be the difference, with ETSU losing by less than a break in both of its doubles matches.
"Unfortunately, we did not get it done in the doubles today," ETSU head coach Travis Sandlant said. "It was a massive point at the end of the day, and was the difference."
The match was the season opener for the Paladins (1-0), who the Bucs will meet as a conference opponent next season as they begin play in the Southern Conference.
Despite the loss, Sandlant was impressed by the effort shown by the short-handed Buccaneers.
"It came down to the wire today," Sandlant said. "It was definitely a tough loss, but to have an opportunity to pull it out with five players against a solid team like Furman shows how much we want it."
Sophomore Anna Gerbasi (Caracas, Venezuela) continued her stellar play, winning at No. 4 singles, and extending her unbeaten streak to three matches to start the 2014 campaign.
ETSU will continue non-conference play Saturday afternoon as it plays host to Western Carolina at 3:00 p.m. at the Bristol Racquet and Fitness Club located at 109 Raytheon Rd., Bristol, Tenn., 37620.
Lyn Yee Choo (Kuching, Malaysia) and Salma Dahbi (Marrakech, Morocco) will each enter Saturday's contest riding two-match win streaks.
Furman 4, ETSU 3
1. Alex Moreno-Kaste (FUR) def. Giulia Andreazza (ETSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Lyn Yee Choo (ETSU) def. Ansley Speaks (FUR) 6-2, 6-0
3. Salma Dahbi (ETSU) def. Katherine Oudin (FUR) 6-1, 7-5
4. Anna Gerbasi (ETSU) def. Blair Martin (FUR) 6-1, 6-2
5. Karlee Bryde (FUR) def. Jessica Brumit (ETSU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Kelly Sullivan (FUR) def. No player (ETSU), by walkover
1. Katherine Oudin/Alex Moreno-Kaste (FUR) vs. Lyn Yee Choo/Anna Gerbasi (ETSU) 5-6, unfinished
2. Blair Martin/Ansley Speaks (FUR) def. Giulia Andreazza/Jessica Brumit (ETSU) 6-4
3. Margaret Boyette/Karlee Bryde (FUR) def. No player/No player (ETSU), by walkover
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,2,4,1,3,5)