JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (April 5, 2014) - The ETSU women's tennis team improved to 5-1 in Atlantic Sun play, knocking off USC Upstate, 7-0, Saturday. The Buccaneers have now won seven of their last eight matches.
Spurred by solid doubles play to start the day, the Bucs (10-8, 5-1) never looked back, capturing the doubles point and then proceeding to win all six singles points, including five straight-set victories.
Junior Jessica Brumit (Elizabethton, Tenn.) cruised past USC Upstate's Lindsey Buenger, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 5 singles to extend her team-best singles win streak to seven matches. Brumit has not suffered a setback in singles play since Feb. 23 versus No. 47 VCU.
Brumit also paired with senior Giulia Andreazza (Balneario Camboriu, Brazil) to win at No. 2 doubles. The duo has now won five consecutive doubles matches.
Senior Salma Dahbi (Marrakech, Morocco) handily beat Sarah Vande Berg at No. 6 singles, 6-1, 6-0, while also teaming with fellow senior Sofia Espana (Mexico City, Mexico) to earn an 8-1 victory at No. 3 doubles.
Lyn Yee Choo (Kuching, Malaysia) and Ana Gerbasi (Caracas, Venezuela) improved to 7-3 on the year in doubles play, winning 8-5 at the No. 1 spot.
Both Choo and Gerbasi each earned singles victories, winning at No. 1 and No. 3 singles, respectively. Gerbasi held off a comeback attempt by Taylor Cohen, outlasting Cohen, 6-4, 2-6, 10-8.
Espana and Andreazza sealed the victory, concluding the day with wins at No. 4 and No. 2 singles, respectively.
With the win, ETSU is now 5-1 at home on the year.
The Bucs conclude regular season play next weekend, hosting Kennesaw State Friday, April 11 and Mercer Saturday, April 12, with both matches beginning at 2:00 p.m.
Prior to Saturday's match-up with Mercer, ETSU will recognize the three outgoing senior members of the squad, Andreazza, Dahbi, and Espana.
ETSU 7, USC Upstate 0
1. Lyn Yee Choo (ETSU) def. VON STRYK, Isabel (UPST) 6-2, 6-3
2. Giulia Andreazza (ETSU) def. ZOSKE, Anna (UPST) 6-3, 6-2
3. Ana Gerbasi (ETSU) def. COHEN, Taylor (UPST) 6-4, 2-6, 10-8
4. Sofia Espana (ETSU) def. ROJAS, Talia (UPST) 6-4, 6-4
5. Jessica Brumit (ETSU) def. BUENGER, Lindsey (UPST) 6-1, 6-0
6. Salma Dahbi (ETSU) def. VANDE BERG, Sarah (UPST) 6-1, 6-0
1. Lyn Yee Choo/Ana Gerbasi (ETSU) def. VON STRYK, Isabel/ZOSKE, Anna (UPST) 8-5
2. Jessica Brumit/Giulia Andreazza (ETSU) def. COHEN, Taylor/ROJAS, Talia (UPST) 8-3
3. Salma Dahbi/Sofia Espana (ETSU) def. BUENGER, Lindsey/VANDE BERG, Sarah (UPST) 8-1
USC Upstate 2-17, 1-5 A-Sun
ETSU 10-8, 5-1 A-Sun
FOLLOW THE BUCS