JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (April 12, 2014) - Seniors Giulia Andreazza (Balneario Camboriu, Brazil), Salma Dahbi (Marrakech, Morocco), and Sofia Espana (Mexico City, Mexico) know a thing or two about winning. Together, the three have combined to win more than 200 matches while at ETSU. Saturday, they added one more, helping the Bucs to a 6-1 win over Mercer on Senior Day.
Fittingly, the team's three outgoing seniors were the first three Buccaneer players to pick up singles wins, clinching the win for ETSU. The Buccaneers (12-8, 7-1) have now won at least seven conference matches in 10 consecutive seasons.
Junior Jessica Brumit (Elizabethton, Tenn.) extended her team-best win streak to nine matches, picking up a win at No. 5 singles. Brumit has not suffered a setback in singles play since Feb. 23 versus No. 47 VCU.
Brumit and Dahbi both finished the regular season with unbeaten records in league play, each going 7-0 in singles. Meanwhile, Andreazza posted a 7-1 singles record in A-Sun play.
The Bucs, winners of nine of their last 10 matches, will look to carry the momentum from the regular season into next weekend's Atlantic Sun Women's Tennis Championship.
ETSU, the tournament's No. 2 seed will receive a bye into the semifinals where it will take on either third-seeded Florida Gulf Coast or sixth-seeded Lipscomb Friday, April 18 at 5:00 p.m.
The tournament, which will be hosted by North Florida, will take place April 17-19 in Jacksonville, Fla.
ETSU 6, Mercer 1
1. Lyn Yee Choo (ETSU) def. Danielle Jones (MER) 6-2, 7-5
2. Lucie Payrat (MER) def. Ana Gerbasi (ETSU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Giulia Andreazza (ETSU) def. Roxy Bartz (MER) 6-2, 6-0
4. Sofia Espana (ETSU) def. Natalie Franklin (MER) 6-4, 6-0
5. Jessica Brumit (ETSU) def. Haley Powell (MER) 6-3, 6-0
6. Salma Dahbi (ETSU) def. Liza Klyachkin (MER) 6-0, 6-0
1. Lyn Yee Choo/Ana Gerbasi (ETSU) def. Danielle Jones/Lucie Payrat (MER) 8-0
2. Sofia Espana/Salma Dahbi (ETSU) vs. Roxy Bartz/Liza Klyachkin (MER) 7-5, unfinished
3. Jessica Brumit/Giulia Andreazza (ETSU) def. Natalie Franklin/Haley Powell (MER) 8-3
Mercer 10-13, 4-4 A-Sun
ETSU 12-8, 7-1 A-Sun
FOLLOW THE BUCS