BRISTOL, Tenn. (Jan. 25, 2015) - On the heels of a road win at Appalachian State Saturday, the ETSU women's tennis team continued its winning ways Sunday, cruising past Radford, 7-0, in a non-conference match at the Bristol Racquet & Fitness Club in Bristol, Tenn.
The Buccaneers (2-0) began the day by taking the doubles point over Radford, with ETSU's three doubles tandems finishing nearly simultaneously.
ETSU carried that momentum into singles play, where all six players came away victorious, including freshman Melissa Esguerra (Derrimutt, Australia), who earned her first collegiate win.
"Today was much better—I was more relaxed," Esguerra said. "I felt like I was getting the hang of it."
Also finding the win column in singles play for the Bucs were Lyn Yee Choo (Kuching, Malaysia), Reginka Nychytailova (Maripol, Ukraine), Ana Gerbasi (Caracas, Venezuela), Ionna Markesini (Athens, Greece), and Jayde Viccars (Glen Waverely, Australia).
All six ETSU players won their singles matches in straight sets, with Nychytailova pulling out a hard-fought victory at No. 2 singles, 7-5, 7-6 (7-4).
The Bucs will continue non-conference play next weekend, visiting Belmont and Austin Peay.
ETSU 7, Radford 0
1. Lyn Yee Choo (ETSU) def. SAYER, Natalie (RAD) 6-2, 6-3
2. Reginka Nychytailova (ETSU) def. NEWMAN, Taylor (RAD) 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Ana Gerbasi (ETSU) def. VALLS, Gemma (RAD) 6-2, 6-1
4. Melissa Esguerra (ETSU) def. FAY, Taylor (RAD) 6-2, 6-0
5. Jayde Viccars (ETSU) def. SARVER, Grace (RAD) 6-3, 6-3
6. Ionna Markesini (ETSU) def. NAPOLITANO, Meg (RAD) 6-2, 6-1
1. Lyn Yee Choo/Reginka Nychytailova (ETSU) def. VALLS, Gemma/NEWMAN, Taylor (RAD) 6-3
2. Melissa Esguerra/Ionna Markesini (ETSU) def. SAYER, Natalie/FAY, Taylor (RAD) 6-2
3. Ana Gerbasi/Jessica Brumit (ETSU) def. SARVER, Grace/NAPOLITANO, Meg (RAD) 6-2
Order of finish: Singles (4, 1, 3, 2, 6, 5)
FOLLOW THE BUCS