JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (April 29, 2015) - Throughout the season, members of the ETSU women’s tennis team will be featured in a ‘‘Getting to Know’’ segment on ETSUBucs.com.
The next student-athlete to be profiled is Ioanna Markesini (Athens, Greece).
As a freshman this season, Markesini posted a cumulative spring record of 27-11, including an impressive 11-2 mark in league play en route to helping the Buccaneers to the program's 10th-consecutive conference tournament championship appearance. Markesini was selected to the All-SoCon Doubles Second Team and All-Freshman Team.
Markesini's teammates came up with the questions. Below are Markesini's responses:
1. What are your plans after graduation?
Go back to Greece, work there for a year or two and then try to find a college in Europe to pursue my masters.
2. Why did you start playing tennis?
I wanted to play a sport and my brother said tennis could fit me perfectly.
3. Who is your favorite athlete?
4. What is something that not many people know about you?
I am really weak if you know how to hurt me.
5. Who is the best dancer on the team?
Ana Gerbasi, of course—she is latin.
6. What is a bad habit you have?
I am always nice, even to people that I should not be.
7. What is your favorite quote?
“Don’t be the same, be better.”
8. What is the most adventurous thing you have done?
Jump from the boat into the sea 10 years ago.
9. If you were not playing tennis what do you think you would be doing?
I would be a chef. Cooking is my passion.
10. If you were not afraid of doing something, what would you do?
I would probably try something risky.
11. What is your favorite thing to do off the court?
Go shopping with my mom. She is amazing.
12. Who do you look up to most in life?
My older brother.
13. What country do you most want to visit?
Australia, of course.
14. If you could have dinner with somebody dead or alive who would it be and why?
My grandfather. He died when I was eight years old, so I never had the opportunity to spend time with him.
15. If you could have one thing in the world what would it be?
16. If you were an animal, what would you be?
A fish—they are amazing creatures.
17. Which is your favorite non-ETSU tennis memory?
When I won my very first tournament. It was a national tournament back home and I was eight years old.
FOLLOW THE BUCS