Bears last visited Johnson City in 2018
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (April 28, 2022) – For the second consecutive weekend, the Bucs will play conference baseball in Johnson City.
ETSU hosts Mercer for a three-game series at Thomas Stadium this weekend for the first time since 2018. That season was Head Coach Joe Pennucci’s first in the Blue & Gold and David Beam (Knoxville, Tenn.) is the lone Buccaneer who was on that roster still in Johnson City.
First pitch Friday is scheduled for 1:00 p.m., Saturday at 2:00 p.m., and the finale on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. All three games will be streaming on ESPN+.
Records: ETSU (24-13, 6-3 SoCon) | Mercer (33-8, 7-2 SoCon)
Twitter Updates: @ETSU_Baseball
Weather Forecast: Friday (low-60s, cloudy) | Saturday (low-70s, cloudy, 50% chance of rain) | Sunday (low-70s, 70% chance of rain)
Game 1: Friday, Apr. 29 | 1:00 p.m. | Live Stats | ESPN+
East Tennessee State – RHP Zach Kirby (2-1 | 3.50 ERA | 43.2 IP | 32 K | 12 BB)
Mercer – RHP Ryan Lobus (5-2 | 2.92 ERA | 49.1 IP | 49 K | 16 BB)
Game 2: Saturday, Apr. 30 | 2:00 p.m. | Live Stats | ESPN+
East Tennessee State – RHP Hunter Loyd (3-2 | 2.70 ERA | 50.0 IP | 57 K | 20 BB)
Mercer – RHP Josh Farmer (5-0 | 4.10 ERA | 41.2 IP | 33 K | 14 BB)
Game 3: Sunday, May 1 | 1:00 p.m. | Live Stats | ESPN+
East Tennessee State – TBD
Mercer – TBD
ETSU QUICK HITTERS
- In ETSU’s last outing, Radford salvaged the season series with an 8-6 win in Radford.
- Tommy Barth (Brecksville, Ohio), who carries a 14-game hitting streak into the weekend, leads the conference with 17 hits in SoCon games. Barth’s .381 average on the season ranks second in the conference and first in the nation among freshmen.
- On a streak of his own, Noah Webb (Kodak, Tenn.) carries a 22-game on-base streak that started on March 15 in a midweek game against Radford. The streak has seen the second three-walk game (3/20 vs. Tennessee Tech) and only five-hit game (4/10 at WCU) by a Buccaneer this season.
- Tuesday saw another home run from Garett Wallace (Sanford, Fla.), who now has five homers in his last ten games. Specifically, these last five home runs have occurred in the last seven road games.
- Bryce Hodge (Knoxville, Tenn.), who leads the Bucs with a .636 slugging, enters this three-game set against Mercer hitting safely in 20 of his last 25 games. During this stretch, Hodge earned SoCon Player of the Week for batting over .600 in three games against Western Carolina.
- Justin Hanvey (Purcellville, Va.) broke out in a big way over the weekend, hitting .636 against VMI with three multi-hit games, two home runs, and a career-high five-RBI game on Saturday. Three of Hanvey’s four home runs on the season have come at Thomas Stadium.
- In conference-only games, ETSU’s .321 batting average tops the league. The Bucs also hold the most hits (109) and third-most runs (74). The Bucs also have three individuals in the top-8 in batting average (Tommy Barth, Justin Hanvey, Garett Wallace), the only school with three batters in the top-10 in batting average in conference-only games.
- Andrew Ronne (Athens, Tenn.) is one of seven freshmen in the nation with at least five wins and an unbeaten record. In seven home relief appearances, Ronne has allowed an earned run in just two.
- In the Bucs’ last home conference weekend, ETSU hit .366 over three games in a sweep over VMI. The Bucs had double-digit hits in all three and have nine consecutive games with double-digit hits and nine or more runs at home.
- In three conference series, ETSU has either swept their opponent or been swept.
- Mercer, second in the conference with a 7-2 record in conference play, is coming off a weekend where #22 Wofford took two of three in Macon. Mercer opened conference play with sweeps over The Citadel and UNCG.
- Colby Thomas, though outside of the top-10 in the conference in batting average, leads the SoCon with a .764 slugging percentage, 55 runs, and 17 home runs. Thomas (59) and Bill Knight (55) hold two of the top three spots in the conference in hits.
- Mercer’s 78 home runs on the season ranks T-5th in the nation with #10 Texas. Mercer’s RPI is 19th in the nation and is 25-6 in their non-conference schedule that includes wins over #10 Florida State, #13 Georgia Tech, and taking two of three in Utah against the Utes.
- Mercer’s pitching staff sits at the top of the conference with a 4.39 ERA led by Jackson Kelley, who has allowed four earned runs in 39.2 innings with four saves.
- Mercer is receiving votes in the NCBWA and USA Today Coaches Poll. Mercer was picked to finish second in the preseason media and coaches poll.
Season tickets, single-game tickets, and flex pack ticket options are all currently available at ETSUtickets.comor by calling 423-439-3878.
For more information on Buccaneer baseball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the baseball page.