Holmes and Sanders earn top individual accolades
SPARTANBURG, S.C. (Nov. 23, 2021) – ETSU football brought home a handful of Southern Conference Postseason honors, landing 11 coaches All-SoCon honors and 11 media All-SoCon recognition. In addition to the All-SoCon teams, Quay Holmes (Powder Springs, Ga.) and ETSU Head Coach Randy Sanders reigned in on individual hardware as Holmes was named SoCon Offensive Player of the Year and Coach Sanders earned SoCon Coach of the Year.
Four different Bucs were named to both the Coaches and Media First Team: Holmes, Tre’mond Shorts (Hampton, Ga.), Donovan Manuel (Ellenwood, Ga.) and Tyree Robinson (Gainesville, Ga.). The Coaches First Team All-SoCon was rounded out by Jared Folks (Harrisburg, Pa.), while earning a spot on the Media All-SoCon Second Team.
The SoCon Coaches voted the following Bucs to the Second Team: Jacob Saylors (Jasper, Tenn.), Tavon Matthews (Woodbridge, Va.), Nate Adkins (Knoxville, Tenn.), Mike Price (Stockbridge, Ga.) and Tyler Keltner (Tallahassee, Fla.). Saylors and Keltner were named Media First Team All-SoCon, while Matthews was tabbed to the Second Team. Saylors also earned a spot on the Media Second Team All-SoCon as a return specialist, earning First Team honors as a running back.
The final three honorees belong to Zion Alexander (Norcross, Ga.), Alijah Huzzie (Franklin, Ga.) and Chandlor Mullins (Elizabethton, Tenn.). Alexander earned Coaches recognition with a spot on the All-Freshman Team, while the Media recognized both Mullins (First Team) and Huzzie (Second Team).
Head Coach Randy Sanders
- Earned SoCon Coach of the Year for the second time in four years with the Bucs
- Becomes ETSU’s first-ever repeat SoCon Coach of the Year winner
- Guided ETSU to a 10-1 record in the fall, including 7-1 in SoCon action to earn the league title and a No. 7 seed in the upcoming FCS Playoffs
Quay Holmes – R-Jr. – RB – Powder Springs, Ga.
- Named SoCon Offensive Player of the Year by both the Coaches and the Media
- Earned First Team All-SoCon by both voting parties
- Leads all of FCS football in rushing yards with 1,431 and ranks third in rushing touchdowns with 16
- Needs just seven more yards to crack the SoCon Top-10 for career rushing yards
- The first ETSU SoCon Offensive Player of the Year since B.J. Adigun (1997) and just the third overall – also joining George Searcy (1989)
- Ranks first all-time in ETSU rushing yards (4,142), scoring (288) and total touchdowns (48)
- Second on the team this year in all-purpose yards with 1,635 (including 204 receiving) – averaging 148.6 yards per game
- Fourth consecutive season that Holmes has appeared on the All-SoCon squad
Tre’mond Shorts – R-Jr. – OL – Hampton, Ga.
- Named to the Coaches and Media First Team All-SoCon
- Has appeared and started in all 11 games this season
- Has played in 41 career games for the Bucs with 39 career starts
- Is one of the vital pieces on the offensive line that continues to set records in the rushing game
Jared Folks – Gr. – LB – Harrisburg, Pa.
- Named to the Coaches First Team and Media Second Team
- Ranks second on the team in total tackles with 74, having played in only nine games
- Tallied 5.0 tackles for loss and 2.0 sacks this fall
- Hauled in a critical interception against VMI to set the tone early in ETSU’s 27-20 win over the Keydets
- Currently has 232 career tackles with 20.0 tackles for loss and 10.0 sacks
Donovan Manuel – R-So. – LB – Ellenwood, Ga.
- Earned a spot on the Coaches and Media First Team All-SoCon for the second consecutive season
- Leads the Bucs in tackles with 103, becoming the first triple-digit tackler for the Bucs since Dylan Weigel had 106 in 2016
- Second on the team in both tackles for loss (7.5) and sacks (3.0), while also recording one fumble recovery and one forced fumble
- Twice named SoCon Defensive Player of the Week this season (Nov. 6 vs. VMI & Nov. 13 at WCU)
Tyree Robinson – Sr. – DB – Gainesville, Ga.
- Named to both the Coaches and Media First Team All-SoCon
- Has accumulated 41 tackles this fall with 2.5 tackles for loss, five interceptions, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble
- Currently the leading active tackler for ETSU with 238 tackles
- Has hauled in 11 career interceptions and has 26 career breakups, four fumble recoveries and three forced fumbles
- Third time being named First Team All-SoCon
Jacob Saylors – Jr. – RB – Jasper, Tenn.
- Named to the First Team Media, Second Team Media and Second Team Coaches
- Has recorded 968 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns this season
- Set a program record with 266 rushing yards in a 56-35 win over Western Carolina on Nov. 13
- Has also accounted for 143 receiving yards and 596 kick return yards
- Leads all of FCS in rushing yards per carry (7.5), second in all-purpose yards (1,707) and third in all-purpose yards per game (155.18).
- Currently ranks fourth in FCS football for kickoff returns at 29.8 yards per return
- Has twice been named SoCon Offensive Player of the Week (Sept. 11 vs. UVA Wise & Nov. 13 at WCU)
- Currently ranks fourth in program history in career rushing yards with 2,493
Tavon Matthews – So. – OL – Woodbridge, Va.
- Named to both the Coaches and Media Second Team All-SoCon for the first time in his career
- Has appeared and started in all 11 games this season
- Has never missed a start in his career, compiling 29 consecutive starts on a stout offensive line
Nate Adkins – Jr. – TE – Knoxville, Tenn.
- Earned a spot on the Coaches Second Team All-SoCon
- Ranks third on the squad in receptions with 25 and third in receiving yards at 263
- Has hauled in one touchdown and is averaging 23.9 receiving yards per game and 10.5 yards per catch
- His 263 receiving yards is a new career high, while his 25 receptions has tied his 2019 production for most personal career receptions
Mike Price – R-So. – DB – Stockbridge, Ga.
- First career All-SoCon appearance, earning a spot on the Coaches Second Team
- The hard-hitting defensive back is fourth on the team in tackle with 60 and has 2.0 tackles for loss and 5.0 breakups
- Currently has 108 career tackles for ETSU
Tyler Keltner – So. – K – Tallahassee, Fla.
- Named to the Coaches Second Team All-SoCon and the Media First Team
- Has successfully knocked in 16-of-20 field goals, netting from a season-long of 51
- Is a perfect 48-for-48 in extra points
- Ranks second on the team in points with 96 and has 201 career points
- Currently tied for second in ETSU career field goals with 37
Chandlor Mullins – R-So. – LS – Elizabethton, Tenn.
- New to this year’s ballot is the long snapper in which Mullins earned Media First Team All-SoCon
- Has appeared in all 11 games this season and 17 in his career
Alijah Huzzie – R-Fr. – DB – Franklin, Ga.
- Earned a spot on the Media Second Team All-SoCon
- Ranks third on the Bucs in tackles with 66 and has 2.0 tackles for loss, three interceptions and 2 forced fumbles
- Hauled in two interceptions in the de facto title game against Mercer, including one to set up the game-winning drive
- Named SoCon Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against the Bears
- Has 111 career tackles and six interceptions with 13 career pass breakups
Zion Alexander – Fr. – DB – Norcross, Ga.
- Earned a spot on the SoCon All-Freshman Team
- Has six tackles, one interception and two pass breakups in his first year with the Bucs
For more information on Buccaneer football, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the football page.