JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Aug. 13, 2022) – The ETSU football team wrapped up its second week of camp by holding its first scrimmage of the preseason on Saturday afternoon inside William B. Greene, Jr. Stadium.
With less than three weeks left until the 2022 season opener, the Blue and Gold went live for 87 plays and totaled 461 yards of offense. Meanwhile, the defense recorded 78 tackles, four sacks and eight tackles for loss.
COACH QUARLES INTERVIEW
- Six Buccaneer quarterbacks accounted for 27 completions and 364 passing yards, while passing for three touchdowns.
- Tyler Riddell (Tampa, Fla.) finished 12-for-17 for 151 yards and two touchdowns. Riddell connected on a 27-yard touchdown to Solomon Dunn (Johnson City, Tenn.) for the second score of the afternoon, while he later found Giovanni Dyer (Johns Creek, Ga.) for an 18-yard touchdown.
- Freshman William Riddle (Chattanooga, Tenn.) provided the final passing touchdown of the scrimmage when he hit Tanner Corum (Knoxville, Tenn.) with a 16-yard strike.
- Eastern Michigan transfer Baron May (New Philadelphia, Ohio) provided the longest pass of the day when he found Adriel Clark (Suwanee, Ga.) for a 47-yard bomb on the fourth series of the scrimmage. The pass later set up a 1-yard touchdown run by Adrian Johnson (Hendersonville, Tenn.).
- Fifteen different Bucs accounted for the 27 receptions with Clark, Corum and Will Huzzie (Duluth, Ga.) each pulling in three catches.
- Mac McCovery (Knoxville, Tenn.) led the running backs with 36 rushing yards on six carries. As a unit, the Buccaneer backs totaled 97 yards on the ground.
- ETSU’s defense totaled 78 tackles, four sacks, eight tackles for loss, five pass breakups and one quarterback hurry.
- Preseason all-conference standout Alijah Huzzie (Franklin, Ga.) led the group with six tackles and one pass breakup, while Stephen Scott (Greensboro, N.C.) added five tackles, one sack and two tackles for loss.
- Red-shirt freshman defensive lineman Jaylon Jones (Valdosta, Ga.) finished with four tackles and had 1.5 sacks, while fellow lineman Max Evans (Middletown, Ohio) added another sack for the Buccaneer defense.
- The defense held the running game to 2.3 yards per carry.
- In total, 35 different players registered at least one tackle on Saturday.
ETSU opens the 2022 season on Thursday, Sept. 1 against Mars Hill. To purchase season tickets, please call the ETSU ticket office at 423-439-3878 or visit ETSUTickets.com.
For more information on Buccaneer football, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the football tab.