Second-half struggles doom Bucs in 64-58 loss to Hatters
ETSU head coach Murry Bartow and the Bucs will look to rebound from Thursday's loss at Stetson.
Second-half struggles doom Bucs in 64-58 loss to Hatters
Thursday, January 16, 2014

DELAND, Fla. (Jan. 16, 2014) – Stetson’s Edmunds Center has historically been a difficult place for the ETSU men’s basketball team to play. Thursday night was no different.

Playing their final game at Stetson as members of the Atlantic Sun Conference, the Buccaneers suffered yet another disappointing loss to the Hatters, falling 64-58 after struggling through a poor offensive effort in the second half.

With the loss, ETSU falls to 9-9 overall, 2-3 in A-Sun play, while Stetson improved to 4-14, 2-4.

“Well, this is a disappointing loss,” said ETSU head coach Murry Bartow. “We just didn’t play well or make enough shots – especially in the second half. Our zone defense wasn’t very good either. We just have to regroup and try to bounce back Saturday against a very good Florida Gulf Coast team.”

The Bucs shot just 31 percent from the field in the second half, going 9-of-29 and scoring just seven points over the final six minutes of the game. During that final stretch, the Hatters outscored the Bucs 14-7 to turn a 51-50 ETSU edge into the six-point victory.

For ETSU, senior forward Hunter Harris (Nashville) scored a team-high 13 points, junior guard Jalen Riley (Racine, Wis.) added 12 points, and guards Lester Wilson (Knoxville) and Rashawn Rembert (Tampa, Fla.) netted 10 points apiece.

Stetson was led by senior forward Willie Green’s game-high 15 points, as the Hatters outscored the Bucs 30-18 in the paint.

The first half was a back-and-forth contest most of the way, with the Bucs holding their largest lead at 30-24 with 25 seconds left. However, a 3-pointer by Stetson guard Glen Baral with three seconds left made it 30-27 at the break. In the first half, the Bucs shot 48 percent from the field and an impressive 57 percent from 3-point range, while also out-rebounding the Hatters 16-10. But those numbers did not transfer to the second half.

After the break, ETSU built a lead of as many as seven at 37-30, but found that lead short-lived as Stetson went on a 12-3 run to regain the advantage at 42-40. Later, with the game tied at 58, Stetson scored the final six points of the contest to pick up the victory.

The Bucs will return to action on the road Saturday night at Florida Gulf Coast, with tip set for 7:35 p.m. inside Alico Arena in Fort Myers, Fla. For more on ETSU men’s hoops throughout the year, visit and click on the men’s hoops link.