Bucs make short trek to Asheville on Saturday
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (Dec. 17, 2021) – After playing three straight home games, ETSU men’s basketball now embarks on a three-game road swing to end 2021 beginning Saturday afternoon at UNC Asheville. Tip-off is set for 2 p.m. inside Kimmel Arena.
COVID PROTOCOLS INSIDE KIMMEL ARENA
With ETSU men’s basketball set to play a non-conference game at UNC Asheville on Saturday, below are the COVID protocols put in place on the UNCA campus.
When attending a game at Kimmel Arena this season, fans ages 12 years or older will be required to show proof of vaccination or provide a negative COVID test within 72 hours of the game upon entrance. Additionally, for anyone ages four and older masks will be required at all times, unless actively eating or drinking.
ABOUT THE BUCS
- The Bucs enter Saturday’s game with an overall record of 7-4.
- ETSU is coming off a 69-67 setback to North Carolina A&T on Tuesday night inside Freedom Hall.
- The Blue and Gold are 2-1 this season when coming off a loss with wins over USC Upstate (56-43) and Lenoir-Rhyne (90-66), while falling at Tennessee (94-62).
- The Bucs are searching for their first true road win of the season as ETSU has three neutral site victories and four wins inside Freedom Hall. The Bucs have 49 true road wins since the start of the 2015-16 season.
- ETSU is 3-0 when playing on Saturday this season with wins over Lees-McRae, Lenoir Rhyne and most recently Morehead State.
- In its seven wins this season, ETSU has a plus-11 scoring margin (74.3-63.3), while holding opponents to 29 percent shooting from beyond the arc (46-158) and forcing 14.6 turnovers per game. Individually, four Bucs are averaging double figures in scoring with David Sloan (Louisville, Ky.) pacing the group at 12.9 points per game, while Charlie Weber (Owings, Md.) is posting 10.7 points per game and shooting 59 percent from the floor (27-46). Sloan is also shooting 47 percent from three-point range (15-32) and Jordan King (Albany, N.Y.) – who is averaging 12.0 points per game – is hitting at a 44 percent clip from beyond the arc (17-39).
- The Bucs have made at least one three-pointer in 1,071 straight games.
ABOUT NORTH CAROLINA ASHEVILLE
- UNC Asheville sits at 6-5 on the season.
- The Bulldogs have won four of their five games at home this season.
- Saturday marks the fourth SoCon opponent for UNCA as they have defeated Western Carolina (73-72) and The Citadel (65-58) and have fallen twice to Chattanooga.
- UNCA is led by Tajion Jones and LJ Thorpe … Tajion leads the team in scoring (12.4) and threes made (27), while Thorpe is adding 10.6 points.
- Drew Pember, a Tennessee transfer, is posting 9.8 points and a team-leading 6.0 rebounds per contest … Pember also ranks third nationally in total blocks (42) and fourth in blocked shots per game (3.8).
- As a team, the Bulldogs rank 13th in total blocks (63) and 20th in three-point field goal defense (26.4).
- Despite 60 miles separating the two campuses, Saturday marks only the 23rd all-time meeting with the Bucs leading the series, 15-7.
- Saturday marks the first meeting since Dec. 15, 2015 when UNCA won 84-64 in Asheville.
- ETSU has won six of the last seven and seven of the last 10 in the series.
- The Bucs’ last win was 98-87 on Nov. 22, 2014.
- ETSU’s last win in Asheville came on Nov. 24, 2007 (89-87) … The Bucs scored four points in the final six seconds, including the game winning basket from Kevin Tiggs with 1.7 seconds remaining in overtime.
- Saturday’s game will be video streamed on ESPN+ with Matt Stradley (pbp) and Phil Marcello (color) providing the call … Click here for live video.
- The game will be broadcast on WXSM-AM 640 with “Voice of the Bucs” Jay Sandos providing the play-by-play starting with the Atmos Energy Pregame Show at 1:30 p.m. … Click here for live audio.
- Live stats will be available for Saturday’s contest via UNCABulldogs.com. Click here to access the live stats feed.
- Twitter updates will also be available by following @ETSU_MBB.
ETSU heads to Athens to take on Georgia Wednesday night at 7 p.m.
For more information on ETSU men’s basketball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s basketball tab.