Game to be televised locally on The Tri-Cities CW
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Jan. 18, 2022) – The ETSU men’s basketball team opens a three-game homestand beginning Wednesday night when the Buccaneers host Southern Conference leader Mercer. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. inside Freedom Hall.
ABOUT THE BUCS
- ETSU won two of its three games last week and is coming off an 88-85 road win at Samford on Saturday.
- Following the two wins last week, the Bucs sit at 11-8 overall and 3-3 in league play.
- When ETSU scores 70 or more points this season, the Bucs are perfect 8-0; however, the Blue and Gold are 3-8 when scoring less than 70 … Over the last three games, ETSU is averaging 81.3 points, while shooting 53 percent from the field, 38 percent from three and 74 percent at the free throw line … The Bucs have also assisted on 59 percent of its 93 makes, while ETSU is holding the opposition to 27 percent shooting from beyond the arc … During this three-game stretch, Jordan King is averaging 16.7 points, while shooting 55 percent from the floor (17-31) and 52 percent from three (11-21) … Ty Brewer is posting 14.7 points and 8.0 rebounds, while shooting 80 percent from 2-point range (16-20) and David Sloan is averaging 12 points, 8.0 assists, 3.3 rebounds and 3.3 steals during this run … Ledarrius Brewer is adding 11.3 points and Mohab Yasser is averaging 10.3 points and 5.0 rebounds in his last three outings.
- When it comes to the month of January, the Bucs play stellar basketball … Since 2015-16, the Blue and Gold have gone 43-11 (.796) in the month of January, while winning 33 of its last 39 games in January … The 43 wins during this span are the sixth-most in the country only behind Belmont (49), Vermont (47), Gonzaga (47), Winthrop (47) and Sam Houston State (45).
- ETSU has gone 83-18 (.822) inside Freedom Hall since the start of the 2015-16 season … ETSU has won six of its eight home games in 2021-22 as the Bucs are outscoring opponents, 76.4 to 67.9 … The Bucs are shooting 45 percent from the field, 35 percent from three and 77 percent at the free throw line, while holding opponents to 27 percent shooting from beyond the arc … ETSU is plus-14 in made threes at home with David Sloan both shooting 44 percent from beyond the arc at 18-for-41 … Ledarrius Brewer is averaging 13.5 points and 5.6 rebounds per contest in eight home contests, while David Sloan is posting 13.3 points and 5.8 assists in eight home games … Charlie Weber is posting 9.3 points and 5.1 boards in seven home games … Weber is also shooting 56 percent from the floor (24-43) and 88 percent at the free throw line (14-16) … The Blue and Gold are +7.8 on the glass at home and in their six home wins they are outscoring opponents 103-55 in points off turnovers … However, in its two home losses to North Carolina A&T and Wofford, ETSU is being outscored 49-11 in points off turnovers.
- ETSU has made 17 dunks over the last three games, including a season-high seven slams versus Western Carolina on Jan. 10 … On the season, the Bucs have made 47 dunks, including games with five or more five times.
- Jaden Seymour has enjoyed the early start of the 2022 year … Since the start of 2022, the Buccaneer starting center is averaging 7.2 points, 3.6 rebounds and 1.0 blocks, while shooting 80 percent from the field (12-15) and 73 percent at the free throw line (11-15) … Seymour has scored nine or more points in three of the five games played in 2022 … The Charlotte, N.C. native is coming off a 4-for-4 shooting night with 10 points at Samford and went 3-for-3 with 10 points and six rebounds in the 87-69 win over Western Carolina on Jan. 10.
- Ty Brewer is closing in on the 1,000-point mark as he’s 32 points shy of the historic milestone … Brewer has played in 101 games, netting 968 points … Brewer scored 563 points in 57 games at Southeastern Louisiana, while totaling 405 points in 44 games in the Blue and Gold.
- David Sloan has accounted for 35% of ETSU’s offense this season as he has scored 242 points, while his 90 assists have accounted for 227 points … 47 of Sloan’s assists have come on three-pointers and he has made 39 triples, which means he has a hand in 51% of ETSU’s threes this season … Sloan accounted for 54% of the Bucs’ scoring at Appalachian State (15 points scored, 21 off assists), 47% vs. Wofford (24 points, 3 off assists), 45% against Missouri State (20 points scored, 15 off assists), 44% vs. VMI (20 points, 15 off assists), 43% at Samford (12 points, 26 points off assists), 41% at Georgia (24 points, 11 off assists) and 40% against Morehead State (12 points scored and 21 off assists).
- Since Feb. 16, 1987 in a game against Davidson, the Bucs have made at least one 3-pointer in 1,079 consecutive games ... ETSU was 0-for-8 in that 1987 game ... The Bucs currently rank as the fifth-longest streak in the NCAA, with UNLV topping the list with 1,146 games.
- Mercer has won three straight and four of its last five as the Bears enter Wednesday contest at 11-7 overall and 4-1 in SoCon play.
- The Bears are led by Felipe Haase as he’s averaging 15.5 points and 5.8 rebounds, while shooting 52 percent from the field, 49 percent from three and 84 percent at the free throw line … Haase also leads the team in assists (60) and steals (28).
- Jalen Johnson, who announced he was transferring to ETSU from Tennessee in April of 2020, is second on the team in scoring (14.6) and leads the team with 50 made threes … Johnson ranks 17th nationally in three-point field goal percentage (.455) and 26th in made threes.
- As a squad, Mercer is averaging 72.7 points per game and allowing 70.7.
- The Bears rank 21st nationally in made threes (169), 30th in assists (278) and 36th in free throw percentage (.761).
- ETSU has won 12 of the last 14 games over the Bears and lead the all-time series, 25-10.
- Last season the teams won on the road with ETSU claiming a 70-64 victory in Macon on Feb. 3, while the Bears returned the favor 71-64 in Johnson City on Feb. 17 .
- The Bears have won the last two meetings inside Freedom Hall, but ETSU has won 11 of the 16 games played in Johnson City.
- Wednesday’s game will be broadcast on The Tri-Cities CW and ESPN+ with Mike Gallagher (pbp) and Bruce Tranbarger (color) providing the call … Click here for live video.
- The game will be broadcast on WXSM-AM 640 with “Voice of the Bucs” Jay Sandos providing the play-by-play starting with the Atmos Energy Pregame Show at 6:30 p.m. … Click here for live audio.
- Live stats will be available for Wednesday’s contest via StatBroadcast … Click here to access the live stats feed.
- Twitter updates will also be available by following @ETSU_MBB.
- Tickets are still available for Wednesday’s game and can be purchased by visiting com.
- Single game tickets can be purchased for as low as $10.
ETSU hosts The Citadel Saturday evening at 4 p.m. inside Freedom Hall.
For more information on ETSU men’s basketball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s basketball tab.