ETSU has won its last six conference road games
MACON, Ga. (Jan. 24, 2023) – ETSU men’s basketball looks to make it seven straight Southern Conference road wins on Wednesday night when the Buccaneers travel to Macon, Ga. to take on Mercer. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. inside Hawkins Arena.
DATE: Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2023
TIME: 7 p.m.
LOCATION: Hawkins Arena
TEAMS: ETSU (8-13, 4-4) at Mercer (9-12, 2-6)
LIVE VIDEO: ESPN+
BROADCAST TEAM: Frank Malloy (play-by-play), Tim Scarborough (analyst)
RADIO: WXSM-AM 640 | 104.9 NASH ICON
RADIO TEAM: Voice of the Bucs Jay Sandos
LIVE STATS: MercerBears.com
ABOUT THE BUCS
- ETSU secured its sixth straight Southern Conference road win last Saturday with a 78-62 victory at Chattanooga … With the win, the Bucs sit at 8-13 overall and 4-4 in the league
- ETSU used a second-half surge to rally past Chattanooga in the Scenic City … The Bucs, who shot 79.2 percent (19-24) in the second half, outscored the Mocs, 45-20 in the final 20 minutes, marking the second time this season ETSU erased a second-half deficit … The Blue and Gold scored the final 14 points of the contest, holding Chattanooga scoreless for the final 5 minutes and 48 seconds … The Bucs’ 79.2 shooting percentage is the highest in a half by an ETSU team since at least the start of the 2001-02 season, while it’s the 10th time during this span where the Blue and Gold shot 70 percent or higher … The win over the Mocs was just the Bucs’ sixth win at Chattanooga in their last 28 tries and just the 10th win in the Scenic City since 1978-79
- Jordan King (Albany, N.Y), Jalen Haynes (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.) and Jamarius Hairston (Salisbury, N.C.) produced the same amount of points as Chattanooga on Saturday … The Buccaneer trio accounted for 62 points on 26-of-39 shooting … King scored a game-high 29 points on 12-of-19 shooting, Haynes recorded his second career double-double – tying a career-high in points (23) and setting a career-high in rebounds (13) – and Hairston set career highs in points (10), made threes (3) and rebounds (7) … They also combined for 27 rebounds
- Sitting at 4-0 on the road in league play, the Bucs are one of 26 NCAA Division I programs who are undefeated on the road in conference action … The Bucs’ six-game road win streak in conference play is tied for the sixth-longest active streak with Colgate holding the longest stretch at 10 straight … Kent State (at NIU on Tuesday) has won nine in a row, Santa Barbara is at eight straight and Florida Atlantic and Alcorn State are at seven straight.
- With the Buccaneer men being 4-0 on the road and 0-4 at home in SoCon play, the Buccaneer women have also won all of their road conference games (2-0), while dropping all of their home league games (0-3) this season … ETSU is the only Division I program in the country who has won all of its road conference games and lost all of the home league games.
- ETSU has made at least one three-pointer in 1,113 straight games – the fourth-longest streak in the country
- Mercer enters Wednesday’s midweek conference game with an overall record of 9-12 and a 2-6 mark in league play
- The Bears have won two of their last three games, including the 68-55 win over the Bucs back on Saturday, Jan. 14 inside Freedom Hall
- Jalyn McCreary is Mercer’s leading scorer as he’s posting 14.3 points per game … McCreary also leads the Bears in field goals made (140) and rebounding (5.4 per game)
- Mercer features the third-best scoring defense in the the SoCon, allowing 68.5 points per game
- Four of the Bears’ nine wins have coming inside Hawkins Arena this season
- ETSU leads the all-time series, 26-12 … The two teams met just 11 days ago with Mercer winning 68-55 in Johnson City
- ETSU has won 13 of the last 17 games against Mercer, but the Bears have won the last two
- The Bucs have won six of the last seven meetings in Macon, but the Blue and Gold are looking to avenge last year’s 65-56 setback that snapped a six-game win streak at Mercer
HOW TO FOLLOW THE BUCS
- Fans can watch Wednesday’s game on ESPN+ with Frank Malloy (pbp) and Tim Scarborough (analyst) on the call
- Wednesday’s game will also be broadcast on WXSM-AM 640 and 104.9 NASH ICON with Voice of the Bucs Jay Sandos on the call, starting with the Atmos Energy Pregame show at 6:30 p.m.
- Live stats will also be available via MercerBears.com
A week after taking down rival Chattanooga on the road, the Bucs will host the Mocs Saturday at 4 p.m. inside Freedom Hall.
For more information on Buccaneer men’s basketball, visit ETSUBucs.com and click on the men’s basketball tab.