Bucs get a preview of NCAA Regional course
FLORENCE, Ala. (Sept. 16, 2021) – Coming off a two week break from its season-opening race in Boone, the ETSU men’s and women’s cross country teams return to action on Friday morning as the Buccaneers head to Alabama for the North Alabama Showcase.
“It feels like we ran our first meet yesterday rather than two weeks ago. Time has gone by quickly,” said ETSU Director of Cross Country and Track & Field, George Watts. “I'm very pleased with how the training has progressed over the past two weeks, especially since we've hit it hard on certain workout days. There are several regionally ranked teams in our race along with some conference foes. The overall competition and field size will be tougher and larger than our first meet. My hope is that the women can duplicate their effort and times from the Covered Bridge meet. Equally important, will be the opportunity to run on the South Regional Championship course that we will return to in November.”
- The University of North Alabama and the Huntsville Sports Commission is hosting the 23-team event at the John Hunt Cross Country Running Park.
- The men’s 8K run will begin at 8:30 a.m. ET, followed by the women’s 5K at 9:15 a.m.
- The meet will serve as a preview for the 2021 NCAA Cross Country Regional that will be run on November 12 at the same facility.
- Live scoring will be provided via XPress Timing ... Click here for live results.
ABOUT THE BUCS
- The Buccaneer men cracked the top-10 in the latest regional rankings as they went from unranked in the preseason poll to No. 10 in Monday’s updated list.
- The ETSU men’s team is coming off a third-place finish in the season-opening Covered Bridge Open back on Sept. 3 in Boone, N.C. … The Bucs finished behind Florida State (ranked second in the south region) and host Appalachian State.
- Matt Scarr (Wambersal, NSW, Australia) and Brayden Hamblen (Rock Falls, Ill.) led the Blue and Gold as they both finished fourth and sixth, respectively … Scarr was named Southern Conference Runner of the Week for his time of 25:17.56 on the 8K course, while Hamblen clocked in at 25:23.48.
- Lindsey Stallworth (Knoxville, Tenn.) paced the women as she turned in the fourth-fastest mark from a collegiate runner, resulting in her bringing home SoCon Runner of the Week honors … Stallworth finished the 5K course in 17:24.63.
- Joining ETSU and host UNA at this weekend's event include Alabama, Alabama A&M, Augusta, Chattanooga, Georgia, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Jacksonville State, Kennesaw State, Lipscomb, Mercer, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Reinhardt, Samford, South Alabama, Southern Miss, Tennessee, Tulane, UAB and Wallace State.
- The Ole Miss men’s team is ranked No.16 nationally.
- Ole Miss tops all the teams in the South Region, while Alabama (No. 3), Tennessee (No. 5), Lipscomb (No. 9) and ETSU (No. 10) are all in the top-10 … Georgia (No. 13) and Kennesaw State (No. 14) are both ranked in the top-15, respectively.
- On the women’s side, Alabama is ranked No. 7 nationally, along with Ole Miss coming in at No. 14.
- Alabama and Ole Miss are ranked 1-2 in the South Regional, while Tennessee (No. 5), Georgia (No. 9), Lipscomb (No. 11) and Chattanooga (No. 15) make up the top-15 in the regional rankings.
The Bucs will have another two weeks off before meets when ETSU opens the first Saturday in October at the Live in Lou XC Classic in Louisville, Ky. on Oct. 2.
For more information on ETSU men’s and women’s cross country, visit ETSUBucs.com.