ETSU men's soccer earns a draw against Mercer, 2-2 (2 OT)
Thursday, October 23, 2008

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Oct. 23, 2008) - The ETSU men's soccer team earned a draw Thursday afternoon at Summers-Taylor Stadium, as neither Mercer or the Bucs were able to break a 2-2 tie through two overtime periods.


"The performance from our team was somewhat disappointing to us," said head coach Scott Calabrese. "This game was important to us because it had some implications for the conference tournament, and it would have been good for us to come away with three points to go ahead of Mercer. I felt that we lacked concentration at times and we weren't at our best."


The Bucs (5-7-1, 1-4-1 A-Sun) took the lead in the 32nd minute as Tyler Hoek (Newburgh, Ind.) knocked the rebound from his own shot into the goal to make the score 1-0. The goal marked Hoek's first of the season. ETSU had a couple chances to increase its lead in the first half as Sean Hoek (Newburgh, Ind.) fired a rocket that hit the crossbar, but the score remained 1-0 at the half.


In the second half, the Bears didn't waste any time as they tied things up at 1-1 in the 50th minute when Bolade Ogunmade collected a pass from Ian Cameron and scored on a breakaway.  


The tie didn't last long though, as Tony Nunes (Concord, N.C.) netted his second goal of the season in the 55th minute as he took a pass from Andrew Brown (Montego Bay, Jamaica) and slipped the ball between the Mercer keeper and the post to give the Bucs a 2-1 advantage.


Both teams battled back and forth until the 89th minute when a ball was sent into the ETSU box, and after being knocked around Phillip Thoren headed it into the net to tie the game. The Bucs had one last effort to win the match in regulation, but to no avail as the game went into overtime with the score tied 2-2.


ETSU and Mercer both had chances in the two overtime periods to get a golden goal, but the neither team was able to net a deciding goal as the game ended tied, 2-2.


"Hats off to Mercer in doing a good job of limiting our chances, as our guys could not handle their pressure,' Calabrese said. "As a team we need to adjust and overcome any tactical changes our opponents make. We had opportunities to exploit them that we did not capitalize on, and we are missing a guy who can put the ball into the net on a consistent basis. We haven't scored as many goals as we should have so we need to find a player who can score goals for us."


The Bucs outshot the Bears 24-16 in the match as ETSU had the advantage in corners 9-4. Defensively, James Holt (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) led the Bucs with six saves.


ETSU is back in action Saturday at 4 p.m. as the Bucs will host Campbell at Summers-Taylor Stadium. Please visit for more information on men's soccer or any other Buccaneer athletic news.