Bucs top Clemson on the road in double overtime, 1-0
Bucs top Clemson on the road in double overtime, 1-0
Tuesday, September 7, 2010
CLEMSON, S.C. (Sept. 6, 2010) - A double overtime goal by senior Guilherme Reis (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) was the difference as the ETSU men's soccer team pulled out a 1-0 win over Clemson Monday night at the Historic Riggs Field in Clemson, S.C.
"That was a great college soccer game," said head coach Scott Calabrese. "Being at Clemson, which is a big school with a great atmosphere and a historic program. I cant be more proud of the way our team came out and competed. Clemson is a well coached team that is very organized. I think we showed tremendous mental strength. We had a goal taken away and had a lot of chances that didn't fall for us, but we continued to press the issue."
The Bucs (1-1-0) outshot the Tigers (0-2-0) 25-10 in the contest and had a 12-5 advantage in corner kicks.
"I felt like for the first time this was a team that truly believed throughout the game that we were going to win," Calabrese said. "That is a mentality that I want to see continue."
Keepers James Holt (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) and Ronnie Hreha (Asheville, N.C.) combined to shut out the Tigers as Hreha picked up his first career win at ETSU.
ETSU had its best opportunity of the first half in the 24th minute as an Aaron Schoenfeld (Knoxville, Tenn.) header went just wide of the frame.
The Buccaneer defense played strong keeping the Tigers shotless until the 30th minute.
In the 45th minute, Holt made an incredible leaping save on a header by Marco Alcocoer to keep the match scoreless going into the half.
Freshman Theo Yang (Lilburn, Ga.) just missed putting the Bucs on the board in the 55th minute as he rocketed a shot from 30-yards out that was just touched over the crossbar by Clemson's Cody Mizell.
Mizell made another incredible save in the 87th minute as freshman David Geno (Kingsport, Tenn.) played a ball to Schoenfeld for a one-timer, but Mizell came out of no where to punch the ball away.
The Bucs outshot the Tigers 12-3 in the half as the game remained scoreless at the end of regulation.
In the first overtime period, ETSU picked up the pace as the Bucs outshot Clemson 4-0.
With the clock ticking down in the first overtime period, freshman Mario Sempario (Guatemala City, Guatemala) fired a shot into the back of the net from 20-yards out, but the goal was called off as the horn just went off before the ball crossed the goal line.
In the 116th minute junior Matt Reed (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) was fouled in the penalty area by a Clemson defender giving ETSU a penalty kick. On the penalty kick, Reis caught Mizell going the opposite direction as he placed the ball into the bottom left of the net for his first goal of the season to make the final 1-0 Bucs.
"There are things we can't control in the game, and I have always preached to the players to not worry about the things that we can't control," Calabrese added. "I think our team showed a lot of composure to battle back and close the game out on the road against a good opponent."
The men's soccer team is back in action on Friday at 7 p.m. as the Bucs face Bradley in the ProRehab Aces Soccer Classic hosted by the University of Evansville. For more information on ETSU men's soccer and all other Buccaneer athletic news please visit www.ETSUBucs.com.