Bucs edge Bulldogs in double overtime, 2-1
Bucs edge Bulldogs in double overtime, 2-1
Sunday, September 26, 2010


JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. (Sept. 25, 2010) - An Aaron Schoenfeld (Knoxville, Tenn.) overtime goal lifted the ETSU men's soccer team to a 2-1 win over UNC Ashville Saturday night at Summers-Taylor Stadium.
"I thought tonight we started very strong," said head coach Scott Calabrese. "We possessed the ball well, and that led to chances early on and eventually a goal. After we scored that goal something changed and we got away from what we are good at, which is connecting passes and holding possession. That's when I thought UNCA really started to come into the game because we couldn't hold possession and dictate the play. So for the second part of the first half it became a very direct game and we had to chase the ball as they were giving us a lot of problems."
"Then at halftime we regrougped and were able to hold the ball in their end," Calabrese added. "That took a lot of composure from our team, and a lot of technical ability. I felt our guys did a very good job of holding possession and that opened up a lot of great chances in the second half. We continued to create chances throughout the second half, and credit to UNCA as they showed great determination as they always seemed to block a shot or the nip the ball away at the last moment. I wasn't sure if the goal was going to come, but we got into overtime and kept fighting. In the end, we were able to get the result which I am very pleased about."
With the win, the Bucs (5-2-0) have now won three straight contests as they now head into conference play. ETSU outshot UNCA (2-5-0) 26-12 in the contest and had an 11-6 advantage in corners.
Sophomore Ronnie Hreha (Asheville, Tenn.) picked up his second win of the season as he had to make just one save in the match.
Freshman David Geno (Kingsport, Tenn.) gave the Bucs a 1-0 lead in the 19th minute when Guilherme Reis (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) played a ball through to Geno who ripped a shot into the upper left corner of the net.
The Bulldogs evened the match in the 37th minute when Kenneth Lingerfelt fired a shot from just outside the penalty area past Hreha to make the score 1-all.
In the 73rd minute, David Haba (Germantown, Tenn.) just missed giving the Buccaneers the lead as he had a shot blocked at the last second to end the threat.
The game would go into overtime as neither team was able to net a game-winner in regulation.
Schoenfeld netted his second straight game-winner in the 103rd minute as he knocked a pass from Mario Samperio (Guatemala City, Guatemala) past Asheville's Lassi Hurskainen to make the final 2-1.
"In particular, I am very impressed with the performance of Mohammad Bowers (Knoxville, Tenn.)," Calabrese said. "He really helped us keep possession and made some great decisions. We also had other important contributions from other players. David Haba and Matt Reed (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) came off of the bench and gave us a lift. It was important in this game to recieve substantial contributions from both the regular starters and from the players who came on."
The Bucs are back in action on Thursday at 7 p.m. in the conference opener against Campbell. For more information on ETSU men's soccer and all other Buccaneer athletic news please visit www.ETSUBucs.com.